I think I may have a problem on my 59 3a in that the car is ready for final trimming but my B Posts appear to be missing a piece of steel that corresponds with the cockpit cover that sits over the rear wheel arch and effectively provides a finishing detail. The way my car is at present, you would be able to poke a finger into the cockpit finishing trim i.e. at the top of the B post. I've just purchased my next project, a later 61 model which has this closing piece in place (see attached photo) but showing my ignorance I dont know if this is a characteriestic of the later model

I purchased the car with the bodywork largely complete and being unfamiliar with the sidescreen TR's I assumed all was as it should be. I've attached a photo (1st picture - grey car) that hopefully will provide an illustration of what I've tried to describe but I'd welcome any thoughts on how I may get over this problem.

Many thanks

Graeme

post-9805-0-15455100-1409430049_thumb.jpg

post-9805-0-66766600-1409430557_thumb.jpg

It should look like the picture of the unrestored car and it needs a bit of careful work with a welder to fix it. If you haven't the equipment or the skill to do it yourself, look for a good restorer who can. It shouldn't be a major job to sort it out. Unfortunately, you are going to destroy the paint in the affected area.

Rgds Ian

I wouldn't have thought that there was a repair piece available unless you bought a new B post and just cut the top off. It shouldn't be too difficult to make though, I'd start with a small offcut from a suitable angle section.

Rgds Ian

It is not structural. It is to stop the end of the trim capping being squashed out of shape as you heave yourself out. I would also suggest it was for health & safety to stop your fingers getting trapped..but not in 1953.

Simple bit of steel to make up and you can be sure it matches the trim rail profile.

Araldite the missing bit on?

Pop rivet and fill then repainted locally.

Drill and mig spot weld then repaint locally?

Make up and shape a bit of wood that the trim capping can sit on and bash that in with suitable glue. You could polish it as a feature if on both sides. ( concourse could be out with this option)

Peter W

Lots of great ideas, thanks everyone.

I think I'll use my new aquisition as a template & weld the new sections in, hopefully the impact on my new paint won't be too dramatic.

My initial hope was that there may have been variation in design over the years to explain the omission but I can't think why this has been chopped off; I'm certain that the B posts are new replacements.

Graeme

They are quite often missing or have been damaged in some way. Originally they were also quite often leaded on the front face to get the door capping to elbow capping gap correct as well.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't have thought that there was a repair piece available unless you bought a new B post and just cut the top off. It shouldn't be too difficult to make though, I'd start with a small offcut from a suitable angle section.

Rgds Ian

Note the repro B posts are not great. We ended up fabricating our own from sheet steel. Buying one and hacking off the top piece Graeme needs is about all they are good for...