Oil pressure too high

Hi there - some advice needed.

My oil pressure runs very high (90 - 100 lb/in2) until really warmed up when it finally settles down (50 - 70). Adjust the PRV I hear you say - but at some point the needle will flick and always to dead-on 70. So it seems that the adjustment is probably spot on but that the ball "sticks" closed. And yet when I had the ball/spring disassembled all seemed very free to move.

Is there any experience of this happening?

Any thoughts anyone before i have it all to bits again?

Thanks

Norman

I wouldn't worry too much as those aren't very accurate anyway. My experience is that oil pressure on startup is incredibly climate sensitive here under the tropics so downgrading the oil viscosity to 10W30/40 if you're in a colder climate wouldn't harm.

Addition: it could take up to half an hour until the the operating pressure settles down, it's not uncommon

Edited by Geko

Thanks Guys.

Certainly I have heard of the ball sticking open and failing to build up the pressure. I was also told the dodge in this case of light tapping the steel ball against its seat in the alloy housing to get a better seal - but this seems to be the other way round to what I'm in need of. Seems again that i have a unique experience!

Anyway - I will of course be getting a new ball and spring, but though it worth an "ask"

Thanks

Norman

Yes had this problem. New ball and spring cured it. I fitted the smaller diameter ball (BL27 or 27/64 inch diameter) as specified for later filter housing assy.

Cheers

Peter W