Can someone advise me please

My TR has cloth MX5 seats fitted from a mk1 MX5. They have integral headrests and are very comfy. Is there any issue with fitting mk2 (or mk2.5 ) MX5 seats with separate head rests? I want to change them for leather or possibly even heated leather seats and need to widen my search as mk1 seats are rarely leather or heated

I'm keeping the original seats incase I get the originality bug in the future

Thanks

Gary

Gary,

If you want leather MX5 seats in your TR give Paul Bishop a call on 07773 413640 or email pbuapp@googlemail.com

He has done quite a few sets for TR Register members. I've attached a picture of mine before fitting. The seat pattern was my choice to try and blend in with the car. he will also fit heating pads for you but I would look very closely at your car's electrics before adding more load.

He did an excellent job, well worth the money.

Jim

I have mk II MX5 seats in my car. I remove the headrests and use a standard tonneau cover.

I got a second hand pair with leather covers from ebay.

I fitted waeco heating elements from MSH trading - about £50, I think. Easy to fit and great for keeping you warm with the hood down.

David

I have a pair of excellent MX5 black leather seats for sale if any good to you. They do not have separate head rests, they are integral. Had them in my 6 prior to changing to grey leather interior.

K

You might also consider, once you've got your seats and chosen mounting method, to put studs in the captive nuts in the floor instead of fiddling around with bolts from above. It makes getting the seats in and out a breeze.

+2 For Paul Bishop

He took a pair of MX5 seats in PX from me and did mine in black leather with red stitching, very good to deal with,very pleased with the quality and he fitted heating elements too :D I went down to pick the the seats up from him, His place is a bit of a bugger to find but well worth the drive as i tied it in with a trip that work payed for ;):P:D

Edited by Clarkey

Gary,

I fitted MX5 mk 2 seats (separate headrest) a couple years ago to my 4, using the flat mounting plates from Carl at TR Trader. Before fitting the seats I gave the metal base of each seat a few whacks with a rubber mallet, which keeps the base off the floor.

I certainly don't feel high in the car (I am 6 ft), and the view out is through the middle of the screen (with the backrest slightly reclined). I suggest you try another car with them fitted as I describe (normal brackets are also available which raise the seat about 20mm), maybe in your local Group?

Mike

I bought some mounting plates/brackets some time ago

but never got the seats fitted. They were recommended

at the time as those giving the minimum seat height.

But - the flat mounting plates (can be seen on TR Trader

website) seem to be even lower.

Is that right?

If so, being 6'1½" tall, that would be preferable.

Are they just simple flat plates? In which case £69 seems

a lot.

Edit: A little more research indicates that these are not just

flat plates, drilled to suit.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Im using the same brackets that are outlined on the technicalities CD and I dont have any height problem and Im 6ft 4" I think they are a better and stronger bracket type as they spread the load better. Some of the height problem can come from overstuffing of the seat base when re-covering. I have the MK2 type in their original cloth style so they are nice and low.

Stuart.