This is a very nice aluminium loaded filler. Recommended on here by Stuart.

Very similar to the Dinitrol I've used before.

BUT

Are all the pro-shops refrigerated, because these fillers both set really quickly?

Now I am putting in the minimum of pink-hardener I can. Just a spot 3/8in long.

I'm not a pro, but I am used to using such stuff.

I can mix it, apply it and clean up without getting in a sticky mess.

But I have to work like greased-lightening, even if I don't mix up more than a few spoons-full.

So why are they making it like this? If you buy stuff in DIY shops it sets in a much ore leisurely fashion.

If it set more slowly then I could mix more and use less layers. Perhaps that's the point, they want you to use several thin layers. It does take me a bit longer to do it that way.

Many of the pro-grade products are really "hot", because it lets downstream work begin as soon as possible. Don't skimp on hardener too much or the final composite will be compromised by incomplete cure.

Working with small volumes is what I do. With practice one gets better, but ya gotta hustle for sure.

No it's definitely is not rocket science, because I have a degree in that and gave lectures in it for 8-years.

I think its probably polymer chemistry.

I guess I'll try an experiment. If this proves to work then I thank you for the tip.

Edited by AlanT

If you put foil on your pallet, it means you can throw away the foil once

you have finished, and your pallet is still nice and clean.

Simple really.

Cheers

Guy

What do I win then.??

Close Guy but no cigar ;)

What No cigar. :blink:

Ok I have thought about it a little more.

Apart from saving your pallet, the foil provides a firm base that does not move, but also will not absorb the resin. :) :)

This therefore allows you to mix the filler to 100 per cent, no resin losses through absorption,

Ok so now do I get a big fat Cigar Neil :)

Cheers

Guy

I studied this problem a bit via the net.

One thing that has helped me is to mix the hardener. I don't mean mix it with anything. I mean mix it up.

This stuff comes on a small foil bag witha scew cap. You can "massage' this about and mix it without letting it out.

I have a new can of filler and the most active part of the hardener may have made its way to the nozzle.

Having worked it about a while the setting time is now more acceptable. I'm even using a little more hardener.

What No cigar. :blink:

Ok I have thought about it a little more.

Apart from saving your pallet, the foil provides a firm base that does not move, but also will not absorb the resin. :) :)

This therefore allows you to mix the filler to 100 per cent, no resin losses through absorption,

Ok so now do I get a big fat Cigar Neil :)

Cheers

Guy

Yep

Well done that man

A 1ft square piece of 18SWG sheet steel works fine as a mixing palate, The bit I use has lasted over 30 years just clean it off with thinners.

Stuart.

A 1ft square piece of 18SWG sheet steel works fine as a mixing palate, The bit I use has lasted over 30 years just clean it off with thinners.

Stuart.

Hope you primed it first ?

Edited by ntc

Hope you primed it first ?

Nope clean bare bright steel. Never had any problems with it. Any primer or any other finish would contaminate.

Stuart.