Tr4a outer axles - CV vs Universal Joints

I need to renovate the universal joints on my Tr4a - outer axles. (Clunk in drive-train between reverse and first) At the IWE I saw a CV conversion. This is somewhat more pricey than renovating universal joints but claims to be more efficient and smoother which may be true. I was wondering whether anyone had made the conversion and whether they thought it was worth the price? Any comments from the "converted" most welcome.

In the event that I stick with the universal joints which grease should be used to lubricate the splines?

Hello Kevin, I fitted CV driveshafts yesterday, they were the Classic Driving Development ones on show ar Harrogate, took me two hours to fit, I did it for two reasons, firstly not unheard of for the wheel to part company with the car, some of the original rear hubs must be prone to failure, and secondly to get rid of the annoying clunks taking up drive, particularly in reverse. Long run today, no issues although I know some people on this forum do not like them, don't know why. As far as I am concerned I have got rid of one of the weak links on my car, cheers, Andrew

Hi Kev,

I too have CV drive shafts on my 6. These are from a Nissan Skyline and modified for my TR. They will handle up to 300HP so are more than enough for my car. I don't get any clunks or that twitch when going round bends. I also have a limited slip diff fitted and the drive shafts are fine with that too.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Andrew/Tony,

the original ST set-up worked well and was in-keeping with the period technology.

Age does not make the design any better, and as some folk have found out ,an underlying problem may pop up and bite you in the bum.

'New' technology would, I'm sure, have been used by ST if they were operating now.

We are lucky that we now have a choice - old or new technology. Long may it continue.

Roger