Tr2a Air flow to radiator

Having just acquired a Newe Olde stocke Nos TR3a grill panel I have had the opportunity to view them side by side and am amazed at the difference.The NOS grill provides a much greater air flow than what I presume to be a reproduction.

The slats are a totally different profile.

Couple the reduced air flow with a few badges and you have a recipe for a hot radiator.

You're right on, Rod. That's the reason I'm still using my slightly patinated but original grille vs any of the reproduction dreck. One of the worst reproduction parts available, IMO.

Here's my original against Charles Runyan/TRF's latest grille -- improved! -- they used to be worse.

i-R5F8X3V-XL.jpg

i-tpgMBVV-XL.jpg

And also why one of the ongoing projects is to modify a spare original grille into something like that used on the TR3S cars at Le Mans 1959.

i-cMHtmFB-XL.jpg

Edited by Don H.

And the original I have in my car is from 1962 at the earliest (and quite likely later, as my car was in a shunt at some point long before I got it in 1981). It appears the tooling was wearing out or something, because I've seen original grilles from earlier than mine that appear to have greater open area still.

Here's an original grille a friend has on his garage wall waiting for the "right" project. Look at the detail around the starting crank hole -- the reproductions are NOTHING like that.

i-dWhQkQm-XL.jpg

Edited by Don H.

Ho Don,

After a trial fitting of the Nos Grill and run to a show at the weekend of about 40 miles each way I noticed that the car ran roughly 10 degrees cooler which does indicate greater air flow. Also in traffic I felt less conscious of the potential heat rise. All in all a good thing but the finish is very blingy ( Finish bright chrome anodising)