Interesting sidescreen dashboards

This is a thread to showcase "interesting" dashboards on sidescreen cars. In many ways, that simple metal panel was a blank canvas for creative modification. Some for function, some for dress, some best forgotten and some that may give ideas for today.

Show 'em here.

Here is the dash of PDU 20, a works car from the July 1953 Alpine Rally as presented at the TRR 40th anniversary and some online images (that I don't know to whom to credit) Nice mounting of the clocks and additional switches.

i-TBRNz9k-XL.jpg

i-8K845C8-XL.jpg

Here's an period shot from my ephemera collection showing OKV 777, a works entry to the Le Mans 24 hour race in June 1954. Note the black bezels on all the instruments on what otherwise looks like a standard dashboard.

i-BwCPwt6-XL.jpg

Hi Don

I have always liked that photo! Do you know if putting the battery in the boot was a typical weight shifting tactic? Any idea what that other stuff in the boot is? A bit trivial to mention, but OKV777 was ostensibly a private entry in 1954, not a works entry. I think they got some works support, but maybe ST wasn't quite ready to venture a works entry. That came in 1955!

Dan, OKV777 had a lot of works support from Richardson & co., as far as I can tell. Ostensibly private yes, so semi-works maybe. Others here will know chapter and verse -- especially Graham.

Le Mans had a lot of odd rules back then. Part of the purpose of the race being improvement of the breed. The fuel measurement systems, lighting/wipers, working boots, etc. ISTR that bonnet straps were mandated, which is why into the 1960s we see cars with leather straps holding down the bonnet.

The stuff in the boot looks like spares. The rules from 1949, which I have summarized in front of me, state:

Article 8, Par. 1: Vehicles may take on board, but only before the start of the race, all spares and tools which the competitor may deem to be necessary.

Par. 2: Once the race has started it is forbidden to obtain additional tools or spares from whomsoever or by any means whatsoever.

Par 3: Competitors must sign a pledge that they have not placed any spare, either in their pit, or in the vicinity of the circuit, or even outside it.

These were further clarified in 1951 to note:

Vehicles may take on board, but only before the start of the race, all spares and tools which the competitor may deem to be necessary, but an inventory in French must be made out in triplicate by the competitor, of which one copy will be handed to the Stewards, one to the pit marshal, and the third to be retained by the competitor.

It must be understood that repairs can only be carried out using the tools and spares which had been put on board the car before the start.

For all I know the ACO still has a copy of the spares and tools inventory put on board OKV777!

Here's an extract from the high-resolution scan of my original photo. If you look at the box with the writing on it you may conclude (as I did) that it reads "Mister Healey". Note the inverted cropped image. There's one for ya.

i-v84NGS5-X2.jpg

i-CMT5xnt-X2.jpg

Edited by Don H.

The battery in the boot is not connected so I would have thought it was a genuine spare rather than balance - but I'm sure it helped.

Would it have been allowed to move the battery from the engine compartment to the boot.

Roger

This one (still lurking under my workbench) is not pretty but has always been interesting to me as it makes me wonder about the life experiences of my TR3A in the hands of a previous owner. Clearly homemade, the car came with extra gauges, switches and lights, so possibly raced or rallied (a theory supported by the damage to the chassis and replacement fibreglass rear apron). Almost immediately replaced by me using the original one from my first TR!

TR2-3ACustomDash.jpg

Edited by BrianC

Here's one made from solid hardwood. To obtain rigidity I had to profile out an aluminium backing plate and attached it with multiple small CSK screws. Fixings for the instruments were modified to account for the extra thickness. An unintended consquence was the ali backing plate providing an earth for the instruments. All in all much more work than originally planned, but a satisfying result for an owner who liked his TRs different.

Viv

post-4764-0-99110000-1408535516_thumb.jpg

A small side step: one thing I would do when I was about to restore my car's dash; paint the backside white(!) Not original, but much easier when it comes to tracing wires whe you're on your back under the dash, flashlight in your mouth and the brake pedal pressing its pattern in the back of your head...

3344_Uhrenhersteller-Sinn-zeigt-wasserdi

This is a pic from German high end watchmaker Sinn's catalog. Not really integrated clocks, but worth mentioning - and pleasing for the eye. Btw, a set like this costs 3740 euros... (I told 'high end...')

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

This TR3A was listed on the Delaware Craigslist site a few years ago. I know nothing else about it, but I did like the vintage union flag on the gauge panel.

i-QFLck4q-XL.jpg

i-3nCP3mL-Th.jpgi-RXT9L4j-Th.jpgi-bVzckqh-Th.jpgi-jK4VdJ4-Th.jpg

Edited by Don H.

Managed to prise the clock out of my cubby box lid this evening. It is actually a car clock, but from a different era, a Smith MA which the internet refers to as anywhere between 20's and 50's, to i suspect, more stately cars?

It has left behind a 90mm dia hole to fill !

Dan, OKV777 had a lot of works support from Richardson & co., as far as I can tell. Ostensibly private yes, so semi-works maybe. Others here will know chapter and verse -- especially Graham.

Le Mans had a lot of odd rules back then. Part of the purpose of the race being improvement of the breed. The fuel measurement systems, lighting/wipers, working boots, etc. ISTR that bonnet straps were mandated, which is why into the 1960s we see cars with leather straps holding down the bonnet.

The stuff in the boot looks like spares. The rules from 1949, which I have summarized in front of me, state:

Article 8, Par. 1: Vehicles may take on board, but only before the start of the race, all spares and tools which the competitor may deem to be necessary.

Par. 2: Once the race has started it is forbidden to obtain additional tools or spares from whomsoever or by any means whatsoever.

Par 3: Competitors must sign a pledge that they have not placed any spare, either in their pit, or in the vicinity of the circuit, or even outside it.

These were further clarified in 1951 to note:

Vehicles may take on board, but only before the start of the race, all spares and tools which the competitor may deem to be necessary, but an inventory in French must be made out in triplicate by the competitor, of which one copy will be handed to the Stewards, one to the pit marshal, and the third to be retained by the competitor.

It must be understood that repairs can only be carried out using the tools and spares which had been put on board the car before the start.

For all I know the ACO still has a copy of the spares and tools inventory put on board OKV777!

Here's an extract from the high-resolution scan of my original photo. If you look at the box with the writing on it you may conclude (as I did) that it reads "Mister Healey". Note the inverted cropped image. There's one for ya.

i-v84NGS5-X2.jpg

i-CMT5xnt-X2.jpg

The box near the RH Rear (nearest camera) looks a whole lot like a factory 'Continental Touring Kit'

Cheers

Peter W

Here's a photo of the dash of the TR3S Le Mans car, one of them. I found while searching on the web.

I haven't posted a photo before so I hope it works.

Cheers Shane.

post-10815-0-23853000-1408677201_thumb.jpg

Interesting carving indeed - I wonder if it comes with a 'stein holder' ?

Notable that he (she) has moved the ignition from the current irritating spot where the fob and keys hit your hand changing gear. Anyone come up with a better alternative position for the ignition key ?

Interesting carving indeed - I wonder if it comes with a 'stein holder' ?

Notable that he (she) has moved the ignition from the current irritating spot where the fob and keys hit your hand changing gear. Anyone come up with a better alternative position for the ignition key ?

you could position it, just below the overdrive switch ?

For me, i havent experienced any problems with the current position in my tr2.. perhaps not to big keyring ?

Here's a photo of the dash of the TR3S Le Mans car, one of them. I found while searching on the web.

I haven't posted a photo before so I hope it works.

Cheers Shane.

Hi Shane --

Yes, that's one of the images from the simply-amazing-and-four-star-recommended Revs Digital Library at Stanford. Their terms of use don't strictly allow copying or reposting, and because it's such a fantastic resource I'll respect that. Unfortunately, their licensing charges are kind of high -- something like US$45 per image for a copy for personal use -- so I have many bookmarks to images of TRs over the years and I refer to the database often.

Here's the URL to the image on the Revs site. If anyone hasn't yet started digging into that image database, well, get a cup of coffee and turn off the telephone -- you'll be gone for many, many hours!

When you're at the page, click on "zoom" at the bottom, and then the full-screen expansion arrows to see the image in large form. You can even zoom in more -- the Revs images have been scanned with a LOT of detail.

https://revslib.stanford.edu/catalog/nh167gs8022

Edited by Don H.

Hi Don,

The photo shown of PDU20 is interesting due the strange position of the rear view mirror mounted through the dashboard cap rail with a blank where the captive nuts are. Also interesting that typical TR dislike for dashboard covering and trying to shrug it off at the column cut out and lower centre bulge

This body color-matched gauge panel (and interesting OD switch mounting) was on a 1959 TR3A at Charmans Ltd. in Maidstone, Kent, in August 2014.

http://www.charmansautomotive.co.uk/showroom/57/triumph-tr3a/

i-2QpWhD8-L.jpg

Edited by Don H.

A friend and fellow club member that is helping me paint the TR3 came over yesterday to finish the tub and he brought with him a TR2 dashboard that has had an interesting treatment. I did not follow exactly how this is done but it involved dipping the parts into a bath of water in which is floating a thin sheet of something that is sprayed with adhesive. The effect is that the thin layer of material is applied on an around the part. The part is then clear coated and wet sanded. It is hard to tell that this is not a walnut dashboard.

Not everyones cup of tea but pretty impressive I thought.

IMAG0292_zpsccb55480.jpg