Advice on sourcing TR3a repair panels

Not a lot quite often. You could try North Devon Metalcraft, Radfords Panels, Bastuck or the usual supects Moss, TR Shop TR Bitz TR Trader TR Improvements etc. Also try Walter Petchey.You will find the repros vary in quality from reasonable to very poor. What are you looking for?

Stuart.

Most of the usual suspects do that lower front wing repair panel. Its not the easiest to fit but is a pretty good fit once its on there.Just need to step the wire edge joint so you dont have the edge of the skin and the wire joints together to stop flexing in service.

Stuart.

Hi Keith, as Stuart mentioned that lower wing repair panel is not a bad fit and is not that expensive. However based on my experience I would suggest that if the rot has not extended all the way up to the wheel arch and the wire-supported edge that you cannibalize the repair panel to use only the part that you need, usually the bottom back corner, the bottom flanges that attach to the inner sill and perhaps the flanges that attach to the A post.

I suggest this because while Stuart has a great technique for joining the wire so it remains a strong union there is also quite a bit of work and skill needed to get the wheel arch to look correct. If you wander around TR shows you can look at that area on many cars and see a lump at that join and a not quite continuous curve as someone struggled to make this all look seamless. If you can avoid getting into the wheel arch edge I would recommend it unless you have Stuarts skills and I would have no hesitation to taking a pair of snips to the repair panel to use just the section I needed. The repair panel assumes you have already lost the entire bottom half of the wing, the worst case scenario and often we have a lesser problem to deal with.

With my skills (zero at the time) I think I could have done a better job creating another vertical joddled seam and making that look ok and not get into the curved edge.

Here are some pictures of my left hand fender repair using the Moss repair panel and a lot of direction from Stuart, back in 2011, almost there Stuart !.

http://s38.photobucket.com/user/foster461/slideshow/TR3A%20restoration%20project/20%20Feb%202011%20-%20LH%20Front%20Fender%20Repair

Photobucket randomized the pictures but you get the idea.

Stan

Read with interest the comments about sidescreen, front wing repair panels.

Many years ago- our group enjoyed an open day at what was then one of the leading Tr restorers/experts inexistance,

namely the northern TR Centre at Sedgfield, in county Durham and owned by Geoff and Sheila Mansfield.

Geoff had the whole workshop open, enabling us amateurs to learn whatever we needed see, body, mechanical, paint etc etc.

I took the opperunity to spend most of the time with the panel repair man, an awsome, time served bloke who could do anything with steel, and whose name will come back to me, when I am thinkling about something else - the joys of old age!!

Anyhow, he taught me about repairing sidescreen front wings, (I was in the early stage of restoring my TR 3A)

he did the job by making his own panels from 20 gauge, obviously with a folded trailing edge and a wired front one, but no matter how much damage there was to the bottom of the panel, 2, 3 4 inches etc, he always made the panel, to reach from the radioused top of the wing, i.e. the curved shoulder say 2 to 2.5 inches from the very top of the wing down to the sill.

his comment was that although this was a larger panel than was often necessary, you would weld this panel, albeit radioused to the original with little or no distortion, rather than, trying to join two essentially flat panels, he was absolutely correct.

I still have a spare I once made,that I am yet to fit to my wing,(I got the first attempt wrong) but it only cost me my time and if any one would like to see the scale of the panel, let me know, and I will e mail a photo, still can't succesfully get them here.

John.

I think that is a sound approach John although I suspect that the fabrication and welding requirements (for the longer weld) would have defeated me three years ago for sure.

I would be interested in seeing your repair panel and if we have not exchanged email before just PM me an email address and I'll contact you for the picture and will post it here.

Stan