WANTED - TR4A Drivers Door Handle

Hi kevin,

you will be lucky if anybody has one spare. The suppliers have none as far as I know.

Why not get a tatty secondhand one and get it re-chromed and sorted - it will look like new and you won't be ripped off.

Roger

Hi Roger

Thanks for that. I did actually have mine re chromed, but the button assembly doesn't always disengage the lock, I.e it just depresses with no resistance. I think some of the internal components might be worn. It could be the key barrel not unlocking properly, so I will try a new key (number is on lock - 1960's high security!) or I believe you can by a new barrel and key?

Whilst I have the lock in bits I'll have to put up with the Frogeye Sprite look on the drivers side for the time being!

Hi Kevin,

there is quite a lot of old stuff on the forum regarding door handles/locks - do a search (good luck).

Inside the lock gubbins there is a grey 3/4" long thing with sticky out ears - these ears get rounded and stop functioning. They are not available new.

If you need new locks then wait for the NEC and see 'THE LOCK MAN' - good quality set at a good price.

Roger

the brass one is home made

Edited by RogerH

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/44410-door-handles-nice-winter-job/

There are two distinct things the button must do:

1. press on the plunger to diengge the star wheel

2. move the lever so as to release the pawl that is brought into play by the internal handle

You must work out which of these two thing does not operate.

The second has some adjustment possiblities and is easier to repair than the first.

Take it off. Dismantle completely. Clean. Check for wear.

Make sure you re-assemble correctly. Test before re-fitting.

Sometimes you find passenger side parts fitted in drivers handles. I've had several like that.

They don't unlock!

I have got restored handles by the way.