TR3a Adjustable Steering Column/Wheel

I have a 15" Wooden Mota Lita steering wheel on my car that I would like to change for an original wheel but they problem is that I believe I have an adjustable steering column so I need the "three pointed star" wheel which seems rare as rocking horse..........

A picture of the car can be found at the top of this site (sorry, not great of the steering wheel but you can see the depth of the Mota Lita boss)

http://jsk404.wordpress.com/

I believe my column is split so can you just source the top part and then fit an original standard wheel, or does the whole column need to be changed? Does any of this affect the wiring for the indicators etc (which is still original). Can you change an adjustable column for a standard one? I'm not really sure where to start with this. I just want to get to a stage where I have an original style wheel, either for an adjustable column or not.

Or of course, if anyone has an adjustable wheel they are looking to sell, I'm in the market for one! Or indeed, the parts to get a standard wheel on the car!

Thanks!

I may well have an odd adjustable wheel lurking, I'll have a look.

It's a darn sight easier to restore a pukka triple spoke wheel than to have to start changing the column, which means changing the whole column assembly, incidentally. As far as I'm aware the adjustable wheel and column only ever came as a single rigid column, not as a split . . . . although you may have a home-brewed adjustable wheel split column ? Worth checking carefully, the top of the rigid and adjustable columns are noticeably different.

Cheers

Alec

Thanks for the reply Alec, I'll try to get down to the garage (car is in Phoenix Classics at the moment having new hood etc fitted) and get the steering wheel off so I can check for sure. A couple of people have commented that it's adjustable due to the length of the Mota Lita boss kit on there (longer than a standard on by about 3 inches or so) but the mechanic at Phoenix commented it was a split column when he reconditioned the steering box. But I agree, the parts catalogues show the adjustable column as a single piece. If i have it right, the adjustable column has a lot more spline on it than the standard?

If you have a steering wheel available I'd be very interested. As you note, a lot easier than swapping out the entire column assembly.

Thanks

Richard

My 3a has the adjustable wheel with a split column. Not as useful as it sounds as the adjustable wheel sits an inch or so closer to the driver when fully retracted than the standard offering and only adjusts towards the driver when most drivers are already struggling to get further away from it.

Andrew W

Edited by Drewmotty

I agree - I certainly wouldn't want to have it closer to me than it already is. Good to know that yours has a split column though as the mechanic seemed certain mine was split.

My main concern is getting rid of the Mota Lita for a standard Triumph wheel.

TR3Bs, AFAIK, *all* had adjustable steering wheels. I haven't seen one that didn't have one originally, at least. Triumph apparently had a contract to honor or a warehouse full of spares to get rid of.

They're not useful at all -- unless there is a person somewhere in the world I haven't heard of who actually wants their wheel closer to them. In addition, the plastic used for the adjustable wheels seems to degrade faster than the standard one. Very considerate of them, in my mind.

i-zvWsQHg-XL.jpg

They were available as reproductions from the usual suspects in the past, and the quality seemed pretty good. They seem to be no longer available.

...As far as I'm aware the adjustable wheel and column only ever came as a single rigid column, not as a split . . . . although you may have a home-brewed adjustable wheel split column ? Worth checking carefully, the top of the rigid and adjustable columns are noticeably different...

I believe adjustable also used the two-piece column, Alec -- at least I've seen them on unrestored cars in the hands of original owners that I don't believe have been changed. Here's the steering column for the wheel shown above (a TCF-series TR3B prior to restoration). The two-piece column clamp is just visible behind the coil and distributor cap.

i-V3N9xxV-XL.jpg

FWIW, my car had a one-piece standard column in it when it came to me in 1981, but I attributed that to repairs after a big shunt it had been in at some point in its earlier life.

Hi Richard,

I've dug out the old wheel and washed off the dust.

Photgraphed in glaring daylight, which shows off the real condition more accurately. The usual ebay trick is to buff up with Cherry Blossom and then photograph under artificial lighting . . . . then the wheel looks loads better than it really is !!

If I remember correctly it came from Stuart, and for a reasonable cost. What goes around comes around, and at the risk of stating the obvious if it goes to a sensible home it will be on reasonable terms.

As you've probably discovered, commercial vendors tend to want starship money for these particular rocking horse droppings, even in dreadful condition.

This one isn't what I'd call good, but it is certainly halfway decent as a restoration project. Rim has one significant crack, clearly visible. Spoke lugs to the rim are all three cracked both sides, as usual. Boss is pretty much intact, with a crack in the big column sleeve nut requiring epoxy. Rim surface is well scratched and faded, but spokes are all good.

As previously noted, the adjustable wheels seemed to deteriorate much more quickly than the standard wheel, so this one is relatively decent.

There is no evidence of the date stamp of earlier wheels, so I'd assume this is a relatively late production item ?

I'd happily do a deal for your woodrim and boss.

IMG_3031_zpse149cc77.jpg

IMG_3032_zps53464378.jpg

IMG_3033_zps9c81e58a.jpg

IMG_3034_zps1d3a7f11.jpg

Cheers

Alec

Hi Alec,

Thanks very much for finding the steering wheel and posting piccies.

I think this will be much easier than changing the column over for a standard one and it would keep the car original so I'm definitely interested in buying the wheel off you if you're OK with that.

In terms of doing a deal with my Mota Lita/Boss, again I'm more than happy to do this but my plan would be to restore the wheel, then fit it which means I would need the Mota Lita until that time if possible. I don't know how that fits in with you but it means I can keep the car on the road which the wheel is restored. I'm open to any suggestions you have. Just happy to have someone help me out with this!

My car is currently in Phoenix Classic Cars in Wareham and I'm not sure when it will be out of there - I'm hoping the end of the week with luck! But I'm heading down there on Tuesday to drop off some parts so I can take some photo's of the wheel/boss then to see what you think. They are quite old and not in A1 condition but I'll post the photo's and let you make your mind up.

Let me know what's good for you and I'll do my best to try to sort it out. My email is rich dot mcavoy at gmail dot com (can't seem to send you a PM on here)

Thanks

Richard

Edited by rhino_mac

It would e fairly easy to repair the wheel FWIW. A search on here will reveal ways of doing it.

Stuart.

So I met Alec at the weekend and had the pleasure of taking a ride in Julians TR3a, which goes really very well indeed! So I'm now the proud keeper of an original steering wheel which needs a bit of restoration.

I've seen some guides online (can't seem to find the one that everyone keeps mentioning which is I think is below - going to a 404 page)

http://www.britishcarforum.com/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Restoring+a+Vintage+Bluemels+Steering+Wheel

I've also seen a kit online a few people have used - was £62 from Frosts apparently but I can't find it anywhere in the UK

http://www.series2club.co.uk/pages/technical/steering_wheel.pdf

Can anyone suggest either if I can find this kit in the UK (Holdens did stock it but no longer) or, as I've found the POR15 Epoxy and Marine Clean from Frosts, what paint and primer would you recommend to finish the wheel and give a long lasting finish?

Thanks!

A good quality filler like UpolD is fine for filling the cracks, I then use ordinary cellulose primer and black paint. Wheel will come up like new with a little effort.

Stuart.