As the end is in sight of the repairs to the bodywork of my TR4a I've started to plan ahead for the rest of the restoration. To that end (and to tidy up the garage) I've bought an engine stand; the type that bolts to the end of the engine and is on wheels to allow the engine to be manoeuvred or spun as required. The tappings at the flywheel end of the block are all 5/16" UNC and it seems a big lump of cast iron to have dangling from 4 quite small bolts.

Has anyone used one of these engine stands before and how did you mount the engine?

Thanks,

Barry

You're having a laff !

Simplistically 4 x 5/16th dia bolts make an equivalent 1 1/4" dia bolt, any idea what forces are required to shear or strip a bolt of that dimensions ? In the event splitting the bolting action into 4 bolts makes it even stronger, I've hung over 20 x 4cyl engine from an engine manipulator (stand) and another 4 x V8 engines (alloy, and not at the same time !) and the engine is very stable and doesn't give me a second thought.

However ! (there's always a however) when you decide to apply some violence to the engine ie torqing the head at 105 lb ft if your engine stand is on wheels sometimes it's difficult to restrain the engine and stand together and results in a wholesome tango across the garage floor. To that end my manipulator is a homemade model with 6mm plate feet that fits onto my engine bench with only 4" clearance below the bare block and the bench working surface.

Happily having thought of it first the bench (again homemade 6mm angle iron...I got a deal) ) has it's working surface comprising of slide in tongue and groove keruing (hardwood) planking which when removed then allows for full rotation of the engines even when completed with sumps. A drop in bolt on either manipulator foot keeps that and the bench married together and dancing classes between engines and myself has been suspended.

Oh...by the way if your engine stand only has 3 wheels or feet on it beware of applying forces or torque at an angle, they can be turned over even with an engine on it !

Mick Richards