Hi,

First question in a long time as the TR has been great.

I have a fast road cam Moss TT1004N in my car bought and fitted several years ago, but I've never known the figures for the ignition timing, it was all done by feel. Can anyone tell me roughly would help, what the ignition timing should be if using this cam?

Thanks

Simon

I think that's the cam in mine and I'm running on the Triumph's settings for a standard cam.

Often hotter cams need more advance at tickover and normal timing at high revs so you have to restrict the amount of advance the distributor can give, but I did some experiments on mine and came to the conclusion it wasn't needed. I have a rough tick over and then it runs fine.

Edited by Ashley James

My Tr2 has a fast road cam, not sure on exactly which one, and haven't road tested it yet, but I usually keep advancing the timing until the onset of pinking under heavy throttle a lowish speed in top, then retard slightly until this disappears.

The tickover is lumpy, and doesn't seem happy at much less than 1000rpm, though not done much fine-tuning yet and unsure if needles are correct.

Interested in advance curve characteristics, any advice on this would be good.

Mike