Dynamos not lasting very long

Since purchasing my car 4 years ago it has had five dynamos, the first two failed because of being connected to regulator box wrong as discovered by auto electrician. Purchased exchange unit which only lasted weeks, replaced at no cost together with a new regulator, this dynamo has only lasted nearly 12 months and the bearing started making noises, out of warranty so paid again. If this one fails think that I will convert to alternator.

Has any one had the same sort of problems ?

Has any one any ideas why these dynamos fail either my not working or bearing failure.

Thanks for your comments, it has a wide belt fitted and the last two by TR Revington who should know not to over tighten.

Have asked Revingtons to look into it for me as I don't want to be buying another.

There is a topic, on a US forum somewhere, about this.

These get rebuilt with bearing material that is not original and it won't take the strain.

They converted them to roller bearings at some difficulty.

Probably using plain brass instead of oilite or bronze.

One of the tips from olde tyme Triumph guys -- wait, you mean that isn't us? -- was to touch the end of the dipstick to the lubrication hole at the bushing end of the dynamo every so often to lubricate it.

The bearing at the rear of the dynamo should have a bung in it, this should be removed and a small amount of oil applied, every 2k should do it. If you have original wide belt setup fit a V belt this will grip and go round the rollers much easier without to much pressure applied to the belt,

Dave

I also had the rear bearing fail. As it is near the exhaust collector and gets quite a bit of heat, I added an aluminium sheet between the two. Since then, no trouble,,,but I must admit I don't drive very much.

Wilfried

Hi All

Revingtons have suggested a shield as the type of manifold fitted gets very hot, but I have done no more than 400 miles with it. They have passed my concerns on to the firm that re build them and we await their answer.

Will keep you all posted

Many years ago when I was an auto electrician we used to service and rebuild dynamos. The rear bush had to be immersed in oil for at least 24 hours prior to fitting. Maybe this isn't happening when they are built.

Cheers

Tony

Still waiting for a reply/answer from Revingtons.

I have no idea which baring had failed,

Will keep you all posted

Geoff

• 4 weeks later...

Chased TRRevingtons but they are still waiting for info from refurbishers as to why, I will keep chasing.

Hi

As mentioned by don earlier my brother mechanic of senior years always oiled the rear bearing of dynamos when servicing vehicles, and still does now on my 4..Proper servicing also included things like greasing and checking all the door locks,Its the old saying "if it moves grease/oil it if it don"t paint it"

Phil...

• 3 weeks later...

I am still waiting for an outcome from Revingtons supplier who don't seem to answer the phone. Revingtons have given them till the end of the week to reply, hopefully they will if not I will pay them a visit in person and let you all know how I get on

If It's just the oilite bushes and bearings your looking for you can get them from Simply bearings, BSL(brammer), Fenner power transmissions or bearing Boys on line we use loads of them in various engineering applications all you need is the sizes.

Gavin

Hello all many moons ago i had a couple of dynamo's rag in on the rear bush i new it was the heat from the exaust so i come up with this solution remove the rear casing from the dynamo machine it out measure up and fit a caged bearing (not sealed type), on the end of the casing where the hole is and say's oil tap this out and fit a 90 angle grease nipple,determine the top of the casing and drill a hole through to where the new bearing is, cut a 30mm piece of brake pipe and tap it into hole,this acts as a small resovoir and an indicator when filling with HMP grease. 15 yrs on and never touched it. if any one wants a photo send email address i cant get photo's on here.

Hi Geoff,

if you have a problem with the bearing end, as opposed to the bush, I still have a few pukka SKF bearings lurking. Most of the bearing suppliers nowadays offer a cheap equivalent, which seems to be pretty short lived . . . .

Oilite bushes are best dropped into oil, then heated to boiling on the kitchen stove, and then left to soak for 48 hours, Worth having a garage pan for the purpose, SWMBO may not appreciate you using one of her best kitchen pots . . . .

Cheers

Alec