Creaking hard top

Hi All,

Anybody found a good way to stop a Surrey hardtop from creaking or rattling. Worried about tightening up those 4 bolts too much in case of shearing or denting the top! Sprayed liberally with silicone lubricant initially but that seems to have 'worn off'.

Cheers,

Monty.

pls provide more info about the seals and their setup. If it's rubber all-round there's no quick fix. Foam-type seals front and rear could ease the squeaking a bit. How's your chassis, btw ?

pls provide more info about the seals and their setup. If it's rubber all-round there's no quick fix. Foam-type seals front and rear could ease the squeaking a bit. How's your chassis, btw ?

New chassis 5000 miles ago, hardtop has the usual rubber seal @ front & rubber washers under the bolt holes @ rear to I assume cushion when bolting up. Creaking is from the rear mainly.

I see load of backlights with the holes worn oval. This suggests that the fixings rub inside backlight.

Last week I saw one that had been bushed, with big countersunk cap-screws, bored through with a 1/4in hole.

I bushed mine with Acetal.

Thanks to all for suggestions. Loosened the rear bolts, stuffed some thin foam underneath in 3 places & a miracle! No creaking during a 100 mile run today! Bliss!

Had this problem with my recently acquired TR4a-the metal lid rattled all the way to Cornwall and back to Nottingham. Had a good look at the four securing bolts and all were a bit worn, so cleaned up the bolts and captive nuts with a tap and die so all the threads were nice and fresh. This gave a lot more bite and made the top much more secure. Went up to Harrogate for the weekend and not a squeak or a rattle. Next job is to sort out that pesky soft top from coming loose.

Richard