TR2-3B lower front wing repair panels -- new US supplier

Some of you guys may know of Joe Alexander here in the US and the support he provides the vintage Triumph racing community through ARE (Alexander Racing Enterprises). Reusable silicone valve cover gaskets are one of the products Joe has taken on to manufacture.

Joe recently posted some information on another forum about new front wing lower patch panels a friend of his, Keith Niehaus of Niehaus Restoration Products is bringing to market with Joe's help. Joe posted the following on the team.net Triumphs list in the US (which probably only a few here follow). I thought it might be interesting for y'all to know -- these may be a cost-effective option to help keep sidescreen cars on the road. Demand is reportedly strong, and Niehaus is hard at work to build inventory.

Just a heads up.....
Forthcoming.....TR3 Repair Panels.
My friend Keith Niehaus has been quite successful with the development of
TR4/TR6 repair panels. Now he is using my TR3 to develop the lower front
fender panels. The panels are faithful reproductions with the rolled wire
correctly located in the edges.
Keith is a great craftsman. You will find his panels prominently featured in the
Moss Catalogs. (Disregard the fact that ARE is shown as the supplier. That is
in error. I only helped Keith in the marketing of the panels. He did all of
the work)
Regards,
Joe Alexander
645 1st Street
Jesup, IA 50648
The-vintage-racer.com
Gasketinnovations.com
Joe has the TR4 and TR6 body repair panels on the ARE website here:
It seems the sidescreen stuff is too new yet to be listed.
NFI.
Edited by Don H.

Don are US wire gauge sizes different to UK ones? Only asking as the repair panels linked to are in 20 gauge which is thinner than original.

Stuart.

Dunno, Stuart, but I forwarded your question to Keith Niehaus and I'll update this post when I hear back.

I wonder how these differ from the repair panels currently sold by Moss, TRF etc ?. Those also have the wire reinforced edges etc and seemed to fit reasonably well given the complexity of this area with all the different flanges.

Stan

Yes AWG (American) and SWG (British) are slightly different. 20AWG is 0.032 inch.

Well thats even thinner then as I believe 0.032 is 21swg UK.

Stuart.

Keith Niehaus tells me through email that the original TR4 and TR6 fenders that he has all measure 0.036 inches in thickness. He noted his panels are 20GA U.S. and also measure 0.036 inches in thickness.

I wonder how these differ from the repair panels currently sold by Moss, TRF etc ?. Those also have the wire reinforced edges etc and seemed to fit reasonably well given the complexity of this area with all the different flanges.

Stan

Stan, those are very likely panels made by Niehaus Restoration Products. They are now, at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Keith Niehaus tells me through email that the original TR4 and TR6 fenders that he has all measure 0.036 inches in thickness. He noted his panels are 20GA U.S. and also measure 0.036 inches in thickness.

That will be UK 18swg which as you say is correct.

Stuart.