By-Pass v's Full Flow Oil Filters

On cleaning up my by-pass oil filter it occurred to me after so many years of lay up that the pressure relief valve may not work if it is ever needed on my TR2.

So if I'm replacing the filter head can I go to a full flow system from the later cars or aren't they interchangeable.

And is that a good idea or should I just stick with what I've got? If so how can I test the pressure relief valve or if I dismantle it how do I reset it so that it will work when needed?

Any help much appreciated

Jim

Hi Jim ~

I would be inclined to fit a new spring and ball valve. You can only adjust the pressure with it fitted to your engine

and the engine running. I would tighten the spring fairly tight so that you will have some oil pressure on start up.

Tom.

ByPass filters are bad news and best changed for a modern full flow one. Us oldies remember 803 cc Morris Minors and A30 engines wearing out in 20,000 and endless Main bearing failures on MKVI Bentleys that also had them. For some unaccountable reason lots of American cars had them and their engines lasted well. I think the primary problem was that we couldn't cast iron to the same standard and as a result, sand goes through the bottom end destroying the bearing. R-R ran the engines on Test benches and even stripped and cleaned them and even then the mains went in 10,000, so they gave in and converted any engine they or the dealers saw to full flow. Since it's only a change of head on a Triumph, I'd do it as insurance.

The worry in the early days was that if the filter was good enough to remove nothing that would damage the engine, it was also good enough to block, so diverting some of the oil feeding the cranking to a bypass filter was a good idea, or they thought it was until engines wore out as quickly as having no filter. (Ford Populars).

The Full flow is a simple and wise improvement and is able to be retro fitted to all 4 cyl TR engines.

The only issue you will have changing from Bypass to Full Flow is the length of the attaching bolts - longer in Full Flow.

Get the whole assy with filter canister and its bolt from the later car engine (post TR2) and fit new PRV spring and ball as advised above.

The filter is the same for all models and a spin on conversion is available if you so choose.

Cheers

Peter W

Hi

I am confused here, are we saying that the bypass valve is in operation all the time the engine runs, my understanding was that this valve ( as against the oil pressure relief valve) only opens when the filter is getting blocked, which, I think, even modern car filters have.

Can someone please clarify.

Cheers

Mike

The TR2 bypass oil filter head has no 'bypass' valve, it has a filter element bypass passage way. Only a partial amount of oil from the pump passes through the filter element before being fed to the main oil gallery - the rest goes in dirty to the bearings via the 'bypass' passage.

In the later full flow filter head filters ALL the oil from the pump goes through the filter element before being fed into the main oil gallery, If the filter is blocked oil is allowed to enter the the main oil gallery unfiltered via a spring loaded bypass valve.

Cheers

Peter W

Yes it can bee seen. I will dig out the reference sketch my friend Peter Taylor did and included in the Moss TR2/3/4 printed catalogue and post here if I can work out how to.

Failing that check the Moss Europe PDF version of their TR2/3/4 catalogue available on line.

Cheers

Peter W

Hi

This is worrying, not happy with only partial filtration.

Can this bypass gallery be blocked?

In may days with the BMC 'A' series it was recommended to block the filter bypass valve fitted to Sprites and Midgets ( on some models there was even a warning switch and dash lamp to indicate a blocked filter).

Are the filter elements the same for bypass or non-bypass filters?

Cheers

Mike

thanks Stu, may I ask you for a little more advice,

My Purolator filter head has an approx 1" a/f nut on top, which I assume is the filter bypass valve, as per the part no. 23 from Rimmer's catalogueunder 'Oil filter", which suggests that the unit is a full flow one, as surely there is no point having a bypass to a bypass filter.

Am I correct?,

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Pete, Looked in the Moss book and mine is bypass type, fortunately I have a full flow on a spare engine project. A job for the winter I think,

All the best Dave

It only takes half an hour to change as long as you don't have an oil cooler adaptor plate under it.

Bypass and Full flow filter heads - images courtesy of Moss Europe. Drawn by Peter Taylor.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT