Overdrive gearbox- the return

Hi All,

Further to my previous post re 2000 overdrive gearbox, I will probably go down the route suggested-TR4 flywheel and cover and 2000 disc.

BUT, after studying the workshop manual it would appear that the imput shaft can be taken out of the front ( circlips etc.) so the question is does the shaft come out relatively easy or does it disturb too many bearings etc.? Has anybody done this?

Regards

Ron

You won't get it out without first dropping the layshaft & gear - in other words virtualy a complete stripdown.

You then have to make sure the replacement TR input shaft has the same No. of teeth, & the helical gear angle is the same.

My guess is that it won't be.

Bob.

The "least work" option is to use a t2000 / GT6 etc driven plate, a standard TR4 cover plate, & change the clutch release bearing, & carrier to TR type to match the cover plate (T2000 release bearing is expecting a diaphram type)

I drilled flywheel to take GT6 diaphram cover plate, & so left the release as was (new bearing fitted though)

You will still have to change or modify the rear flange, Change the O/D rear casing (or use an adaptor mount),

& the speedo will need work to read anywhere near correct (see my previous post)

The overall length of engine + gearbox + O/D will be around 5mm longer than standard, but the rubber mounts can be stretched to cope with this.

The O/D isolation switches on the T2000 box only allow O/D in 3rd, & top, but that's not really a problem, you will have a switch for reversing lights if needed, & synchro on all forward gears.

I am happy with my conversion.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro