brake servo question

Mine too. I didn't know these could be serviced...?????? I bought a new one, and after about 500 miles it stopped working altogether. I contacted vendor (T.D. Fitchett in Shropshire), and they have agreed to replace it. I guess it is a Chinese or Indian OEM part.

Austin

Edited by Austin Branson

Talked to pastparts this morning to have a servo refurbished you are looking at £185,

And to have a master cylinder re sleeved with new seal between £90/£120.

That's a lot more than repos is it worth the extra wonga.

Having read the woes with leaky new master cylinders. What about servos?.

Mark.

Talked to pastparts this morning to have a servo refurbished you are looking at £185,

And to have a master cylinder re sleeved with new seal between £90/£120.

That's a lot more than repos is it worth the extra wonga.

Having read the woes with leaky new master cylinders. What about servos?.

Mark.

Mark

I've just shelled out 72 quid for a new master cylinder from Rimmers. It was fitted last week, so a little early to call it reliable, but it works a treat so far. My old one had previously been given a temporary lash-up with a new washer, which I've kept as a stand-by. The servo was fine - probably sealed by the liberal coating of silicone brake fluid it received when the MC failed...

Cheers

Paul

Hi Mark & All,

not quite on topic, but rather similar, I fitted a new clutch master cylinder from Rimmers about 3-4 months ago.

The cylinder looked good quality, (except the push rod that came with it was shorter than the original, so had to reuse old push rod to keep useable clutch biting point)

However I've now just noticed that the new master cylinder has started leaking just like the old one did!! GRRRR! and right on the new paint that I'd redone thinking that no leaks would be expected for some time. :angry::angry: .

I'll be calling up Rimmers soon, but don't fancy re-doing this flippin work again!

Cheers,

J.

Been there and now use silicone brake fluid, just repainted the engine bay and don't want to do it again. The drip tray may save the bulkhead but not the bit ubder the brake master..

Hi -

Mark - Thanks, just had a look. tray seems to be from chap in Australia, and converted cost with postage looks to be around £32. Is that who you were thinking of?

Robin - thanks for comments, but tray does seem to cover complete area, with just a hole for the pedal arm, but that area looks raised. My minor concern is how you get it to seal around the four bolts that hold the M/C bracket to the bulkhead. Mines already got wet with fluid again around these bolts. I wonder if some silicon style sealant might do that job, if normal brake fluid doesn't attack that too. Take your comment on silicon fluid, but have never used it. can you just drain down and convert over or do any seals need changing if already used on normal Dot 3/4?

Shaun - well to be fair, this is the first part problem I've had. and generally find Rimmers service and website pretty good otherwise...

Cheers all,

J.

Unfortunately the tray doesnt fit. Its not pressed deep enough to go over the pressing around the pedal area and bolt down correctly by over 1/8".

Stuart.

I let a fellow TR owner fiddle with my Master Cylinder set up, to see how it went together for a TR he was restoring, but I hadn't noticed he had let hydralic fluid get onto the bulkhead and on the inner wing from a rag he was holding until it had eaten the paint! Grrrrr! :wacko:

Hi Stuart,

Ah... many thanks for the fit issue warning. I guess you've tried these before? Is a shame as looked like a good solution for this.

Could I ask you or mark what you think of silicone fluid as an alternative preventative measure?

Mark - sorry now realise that your previous post was saying the tray would not cover the brake master, I do agree...

Thanks all,

J.

Dont get me started on Sillycon fluid. I neither use nor recommend it.

Stuart.

Stuart, yep its all been said on sillycon fluid. I for one have given up with the normal stuff as I've stripped too many engine bays with brake fluid and having just stripped and painted mine I'm hoping its stays looking like its been painted and not a mass of bubbles and flaking paint and rust.

Back to the servo,i will be needing to replace my servo soon as making a strange noise but still working.Has anyone used the past parts for a rebuild ??or are the others out there.

ROY

I have replied to you by PM Roy.

After all my woes of problem braking and replacing parts yet again one of the major issues was the servo.I fitted three after market servo's and all the same (no good) in desperation I borrowed an original one which was of known history (i.e. worked). This time I was amazed how good it was and my brakes worked.I then decided to have my original servo rebuilt and sent it off to CBC Classic Car Parts. It came back after three weeks looking like new and internals like the diaphragm replaced.Fitted to my TR5 and bingo worked straight from the box ! All these years blaming this and that and it was the servo.I may have been just unlucky with the three after market servo's but the proof is in the pudding so to speak.Make sure they refit the non return valve and a new seal back in as it was a bugger to fit back.

CBC Classic Car Parts

www.classicparts4cars.co.uk

phone no 0121 423 1637

Cost £140 plus p/p £11.50 inc VAT

I have no gain in advertising this company but just passing on a bloody good service and a very happy bunny.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

Thanks Harry

just the sort of info we or should i say i like to hear.But why oh why can't the manufactures of the after market products produce correct working parts ??.They go to all that trouble of tooling up etc and let themselves down by missing the final details .

ROY