Can anyone tell me if there should be tangs (similar to the engine gay) positioned at the rear of the boot floor where it meets the rear label to secure the wiring loom? Mine has had a new floor and rear panel replaced & there s no evidence of anything being positioned here?

Many thanks

Graeme

Can anyone tell me if there should be tangs (similar to the engine gay) positioned at the rear of the boot floor where it meets the rear label to secure the wiring loom? Mine has had a new floor and rear panel replaced & there s no evidence of anything being positioned here?

Many thanks

Graeme

Graeme, here's the back end of a post 60K TR3A

IMAG0209_zps7f2033c5.jpg

IMAG0211_zps8c43b67c.jpg

IMAG0210_zps929f4da2.jpg

Thanks guys, looks like another little fabrication job for me!!

Interestingly, I see that the loom appears to run alongside the floor adjacent to the wheel arch as opposed to over it which is what I'd been told was correct. Mine is a 59, pre 6000; from what you know, did they change the run of the loom?

Also, I see that the drain holes are further back than on mine which are positioned in front of the bracing pressing, another change possibly??

By the way, the car looks great in your photos, love the colour.

Graeme

Hi Graham,

I am pretty sure that the loom runs from living accommodation follows the floor along the edge of the sill and round the lower section of the wheel arch and along left side edge of boot floor. At least this is what I found on both early TR2 and 59 3a. Given that the arch cover and quarter panel fit so close together hiding the loom behind it would be difficult. It is then covered by the lower arch cover and the bulge then by the floor carpet.

If you are unsure of the position for the tangs forward of the tank, use a hot glue gun to hold the loom in position. It can be peeled off if required for the tangs to be welded on. I think they should be spot welded so perhaps drill and puddle weld and grind flat after.

Remember to fit heat shrink tube or similar before folding over the trap the loom. Found it best to get the connections right with loom loosely laid between the tangs and finally get the length right so it sits flush smoothly against the boot side and wheel arch. Try to get them to fold squarely.

Not sure if I have ever seen a loom fitted to the left hand side of the car neither LHD or RHD.so not sure why tangs were fitted.

Edited by Rodbr

Thanks guys, looks like another little fabrication job for me!!

Interestingly, I see that the loom appears to run alongside the floor adjacent to the wheel arch as opposed to over it which is what I'd been told was correct. Mine is a 59, pre 6000; from what you know, did they change the run of the loom?

Also, I see that the drain holes are further back than on mine which are positioned in front of the bracing pressing, another change possibly??

By the way, the car looks great in your photos, love the colour.

Graeme

Running the loom along the floor next to the wheel arch makes the most sense to me and that is how this 1960 car came. The hole configuration changed several times due to the floor and fuel tank changes so I wouldn't pay any attention to them if you have an earlier car.

I dont think the factory used anything over the tags to protect the loom, unlike the later cars that got some black vinyl tubing. Heat shrink tubing comes in many colors so you can go with black or find a close match or just go naked.

Color is one shade off from Raymond Van Donk powder blue, tub is not yet fully painted so is still sitting on the dolly.

Stan

Every panel of my powder blue 3A is at least one shade off the adjacent and Raymond Van Donk's powder blue.....

It was the Salvador Blue vent lid that once excited some people - now yet another shade of powder blue.

Cheers

Peter W