Unpainted circle in horn covers ?

Turning my attention to the TR3A horns and I see that on the underside of both horn covers there is an unpainted circle. I assume that is required for something but cant see what.. Was this just how they were hung for painting or do they serve some purpose for the horn operation ?

horn-cover_zps5bd16e84.jpg

Could it be perhaps a sort of sucker like device used in the painting process. A bit like a valve lapping tool would allow it to be rotated whilst spraying. Not sure that Concours judges carry a kit to take the horn apart LMAO. YES ITS THERE but open to the rust moth so is it really important for originality?

Saw it, discounted it and repainted complete horn cover, a sucker thingy support would have made things much easier in hindsight.

These covers were from a spare set of horns. I opened up my original horns last night. The covers on those were badly beaten up due to various events that had pushed the radiator brace bars into them. Those covers also have a bare metal area adjacent to the hole in the top but it smaller and is an irregular shape. So the plot thickens but it is still looking like a by-product of how the tops were supported while painting.

Stan

Not on both horns...

Why not on both? Seems perfectly logical that if a rack of some sort were used that it would be consistent.

Dip coating is cheap and efficient. I maintain those are air bubbles that don't quite vent through the top screw hole during dipping in black paint.