Wanted: a good second-hand fuel tank for a pre-TS 60k ('55)TR3!

Hi, all:

While I was in France last Tuesday, returning from Classic Le Mans, the French petrol (with added E10) began stripping the slosh sealant membrane which I'd applied 10 yrs. ago when fitting my tank. The result: increasing misfire and a final dead halt at Ypres, meaning that we had to be transported back to GB. Lots of interesting knock-ons from the incident which I'll probably write up for TR Action in due course.

Now to getting mobile again -

A new tank in mild steel costs twice what I paid in 2004, and cleaning my contaminated tank will be a similar amount at £280 + VaT.

* Does anyone have any cheaper and effective ideas for cleaning?

* Or can anyone help with a good, second-hand tank? On my car the fuel outlet union is bottom centre of the tank.

Thanks in advance,

Tim Wilson.

Hi Tim,

Sorry can't help with a tank only advice.

I would personally bite the bullit and get a new alloy tank from Andy Wiltshire. Once fitted the problems go away. I do not really like the idea of sloshing something around the inside of probably the most important safetywise item on your car in the hope of sealing it. As you have found it breaks down and eventually caused grief. By the time you have serviced fuel line, fuel pump, carbs etc I can't imagine you'll get much change from £400. Another tank may just have the same issues waiting in the background.

Do it once and get on with driving, I realise that it is expensive but so are the alternatives, £375 all in

My TR2 tank was rotten and beyond safe recovery so it was passed to Andy as a pattern for the first tank for the early cars.

My Tr3a tank was inspected using my endoscope/boroscope (camara on a flexible stick) and found to be bright shiny metal inside and perfect.

You may be lucky and get a good one but for an early car I'm not so sure.

Rgds

Rod

Rod: many thanks for your response. It looks like I now have a solution in the form of a good 2nd-hander. Isn't this Forum great!

I would have been prepared to have considered a new mild steel or an ally one; by coincidence, though, while at Le Mans last weekend (and before any hint of the contaminated French fuel problem), I'd been talking to someone about ally tanks; he said there was sometimes an issue with the aluminium splitting as a result of torsional stresses. The other thing that occurred to me was the possible risk of electrolytic oxidisation of the alloy where it comes into contact with the steel of the TR body. I know that in theory one can probably eliminate such contact-risk, but nevertheless... So for me it was always probably going to be steel. Incidentally, I was talking to Moss at the weekend, and their ally tanks are £298, if I remember rightly.

And yes, you're spot-on - I won't be slosh sealing the replacement one!

At Ypres, we lifted out a mess of the sealant membrane which had got down the piping and as far as the glass bowl of the pump filter - and I have fished out a little more from what dripped out of the tank, once I'd pulled it. So with that item junked, it seems as though things may not be much more problematic. The carb float chambers are clear and I've blown through most of the piping with an air line - and will renew the rest. Fingers crossed...

Cheers,

Tim.

Hi Tom,

To be fair the Alloy tank should be mounted on a neoprene or rubber pad. The original felt pad was and is the most undesirable effort as it acts as a wick to draw any damp or wetness.

The issue about alloy tanks was I think due to the fact there were either no or very few baffles and thin side walls. The quality of Andy's tank is superb. The suspect tanks also have a thinner wall thickness which can vibrate with tank half full. You do also get what you pay for in this instance if it is cheap then there has to be a reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you get what you wish for out of the steel tank.

rgds

Rod

Edited by Rodbr
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the note, Geoff: no, I'm OK now - thanks to this column I managed to buy a second-hand one shortly after my original post. I've virtually finished the installation today, family priorities having kept me out of the garage for a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Tim.