Lift the Dot fixings on scuttle

Should there be washers under the LTD fixings on the scuttle?

I have looked at a couple of pictures in books and they clearly show that there aren't any but logic says to me that if you don't have a washer you run the risk of catching the covering as you tighten them and although it isn't 100% clear, the Moss catalogue seems to show a washer.

Also what sort of fixing screw goes in the underside of the capping at each end, is it just a slot head self tapper and should it have a cup washer?

Thks Ian

You could use leather washer 2K4936, The screws on the ends of the capping should indeed be slotted with a cup washer.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Originally the leather washers Stuart mentions went under all LTD pegs, whether screw in or nut and bolt type, and including across the dash capping.

From memory they were an omission in the factory spares manual after the upgrade from baby tenax to LTD pegs at TS5255.

Viv

Thks everyone, as I said the picture on page 64 of Bill Piggot's Triumph TR book clearly shows that there was no washer so that seems to line up with the majority of the comments above. I'll see how I get on putting a dab of grease on the bottom of the peg and take it gently. If it snags, I have some small stainless washers that are just a fraction larger than the base of the peg and I'll use those.

Rgds Ian

After scratching under several lift-dots on my original post 60k car with dental picks, I find what appears to be some remnants of the leather washers alloyed with the leather cover. If Stuart hadn't told us they were there, I would have sworn they were not. Tom

I never had any washers of any sort under the LTD pegs anywhere on my TR3A when I bought it brand new in 1958. I removed all these pegs (wood-screw style) for the first time during the start of my restoration in 1987 and there were no washers.

There were no washers under the pegs on the late green TR3A (TS 80155 L) that I restored in 2000 - 2006.

Don Elliott, Original Owner TS 27489 LO

post-1056-0-83553300-1405273034_thumb.jpg

post-1056-0-05389700-1405273264_thumb.jpg