Does anyone know what fixing I should be using to fix the capillary tube to the heater hose where it runs alongside the head. The Moss book quotes a part number 138892 and I've bought 3 for the purpose. The problem is that they appear to be too small to fit either the heater tube or the capillary itself.

On page 67 of Bill Piggots book "Original Triumph TR 2/3/3a" theres a picture of what seems to be the ideal fixing, does anyone know where I can get these from or has anyone used something else that works?

Many thanks

Graeme

It should be clamped to the fuel pipe from pump to front carb.

P1010081.jpg

Save the pic and zoom in for detail.

These are as close as you get to original, cut excess off and round off the end with a file.

http://www.buckle-clips.co.uk/buckle-cable-clips-ties.htm

In preference use alloy ones and get a few spares as they a few attempts to get right initially, fit with a small section of rubber fuel hose slotted and fitted to fuel pipe and clamping the capillary tube firmly but NOT over tight.

Edited by Rodbr

Rod

great idea to polish the rocker cover so we could see exactly how they fit in the reflection.

You can also use a bit of sticky tape under the clip as used on Triumph Italia (TR3 engine) as my pic for comparison.

Edited by Paul Harvey

Hi Paul,

Happy to oblige but yours is probably more accurate with the black fabric tape. What is it? twice round the fuel pipe and then round the capilary tube?

Actually it is done in various ways on my Italia but always around the fuel pipe first as you say.

Unless Graeme is going for Concours winning standards it doesn't really matter.

I sourced the clips from The Roadster Factory in US because they also sell completely correct hose sets including the wire clamps with slotted round bolts which are hard to find in UK. Apparently this is the first thing the US Concours judges look for as most people get it wrong!

If you are a real anorak you can get into these kind of details as far as you like - Italias have a special tab welded to the TR3 rocker cover just to hold the coiled capillary hose before it goes through the bulkhead

post-8829-0-83234700-1404818057_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul Harvey

Italias arent the only ones with the tab on the rocker cover.

Stuart.

Triumph issued a service bulletin in October 1954 showing how the temperature gauge capillary tube should be routed:

i-KfWCnnP-X2.jpg

• 6 months later...

Actually it is done in various ways on my Italia but always around the fuel pipe first as you say.

Unless Graeme is going for Concours winning standards it doesn't really matter.

I sourced the clips from The Roadster Factory in US because they also sell completely correct hose sets including the wire clamps with slotted round bolts which are hard to find in UK. Apparently this is the first thing the US Concours judges look for as most people get it wrong!

If you are a real anorak you can get into these kind of details as far as you like - Italias have a special tab welded to the TR3 rocker cover just to hold the coiled capillary hose before it goes through the bulkhead

attachicon.gif11999.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0334.jpg

In Paul's picture we see a partially buckled strap, the type with the two slots. What is the correct sequence to tie these so they end up tight and not look like a mess ?. Do both slots get used ?

Stan

It should be clamped to the fuel pipe from pump to front carb.

P1010081.jpg

Save the pic and zoom in for detail.

These are as close as you get to original, cut excess off and round off the end with a file.

http://www.buckle-clips.co.uk/buckle-cable-clips-ties.htm

In preference use alloy ones and get a few spares as they a few attempts to get right initially, fit with a small section of rubber fuel hose slotted and fitted to fuel pipe and clamping the capillary tube firmly but NOT over tight.

Hi Rod,

Inside of your bonnet is a picture but I'm sure you don't run the car like that ? have you removed the battery retaining clamp for another purpose ?

Mick Richards

Hi Mick,

The picture was taken during initial starting and leak detection, just before it emptied its coolant all over the engine bay when the water pump seal threw it's hand in.

After 1400 miles and as is today.

P5300106.jpg

Rod - beautiful engine bay, but those battery connectors look very close to the metal of the battery clamp. I would be concerned that in the event of an emergency stop (or worse) both connectors might touch the clamp and that could start a fire as there's a great deal of energy stored in the battery.

Ian Cornish

Ian,

TBH if the terminals were to touch the battery clamp I would be past caring as I would likely have been shredded through the dash. The battery is clamped so that the battery is hard against the bulkhead and so does not move at all. There is a deceptively large gap between the battery post clamps and the clamp of at least 1/4" although not apparent in the picture. I now have a battery isolator switch fitted, so even further away.

I think it is a 100amphr 750 cca battery with rubber type shell, the inertia required to move it so that it would touch the clamp would no doubt have pushed the column through my chest and into the fuel tank.

Thanks for your concern but I looked at this issue early on and came to the conclusion that it was well clear.