JJC

Probably depends on what type of roads, but when nicely set up, my 4 (when I had it) regularly returned low 30's on a good run, though I have heard of some people getting mid 30's...

Cheers

Ian

Hi John,

don;t normally do 'just town roads', but mixed roads I get something in the low 30's, motorways at a steady 70 high 30's.

Last year I did Heathrow to Windemere in the Lakes 320+ miles on a tank (8 gal's).

The plugs are light chocolate and the exhaust is the grey side of black

SU HS6 carbs.

Roger

Not enough information.

Surely it depends on whether you have overdrive, what carbs, general state of mechanical health, type of roads, type of driving etc.

Comtemporary road tests of an overdrive TR4 fitted with Zenith Stromberg 175 CD Carbs was:

PERFORMANCE DATA

Mean Maximum Speed - 102 mph

0 – 30 3.7 Seconds

0 – 50 8.8 Seconds

0 – 60 10.9 Seconds

0 – 90 28.2 Seconds

Standing ¼ mile 17.8 secs

Overall fuel consumption (mpg) - 26.0

Those of you apparently getting over 30mpg must be driving your cars like old women!

I currently get around 22MPG on the 4A, but the last time I checked the plugs the front two looked a bit darker, so one day I might have another tuning session.

Bit cool here at the moment.

Mine idles pretty fast despite having the idling screw(s) not touching much.

Edited by littlejim

Thanks for all your replies. Background is having rebuilt the car I thought I'd keep a check on mpg. Not something I would normally do but was thinking I ought to see how my engine was doing. I've recorded the last 1500 miles and it's doing 22 mpg. Strombergs, no overdrive, most trips are 25 miles. Now, 22 mpg disappointed me but thinking about it I really didn't know what to expect. I suspect I get less than that out of the 2 (same basic engine but large SUs) and out of the 6. Yes I do drive like an old man which is what I am. Think I'll get our local home tune chap out again. JJC

TR 2100 was bought new in 1962 by a civil servant

who was 64 years old, as a retirement present.

He kept a handwritten log of everything he did to

the car, every tyre rotation, every oil change.

I bought the car at 94,000 miles and his final

calculation in the book (which he handed to me)

showed 29.43 mpg.

He lived in Shoreman by Sea, so not heavy town

traffic, plus some longer runs I expect, and based

on meeting him a couple of times, I'm sure he didn't

drive the car as if he had stolen it!

I think that is about the nearest you will come to a

substantiated answer to your question.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

24 MPG on my 4 fitted with Webers & 32 with my 4A fitted with HS6 S.U's.

Cheers,

Monty.

Not enough information.

Surely it depends on whether you have overdrive, what carbs, general state of mechanical health, type of roads, type of driving etc.

Comtemporary road tests of an overdrive TR4 fitted with Zenith Stromberg 175 CD Carbs was:

PERFORMANCE DATA

Mean Maximum Speed - 102 mph

0 – 30 3.7 Seconds

0 – 50 8.8 Seconds

0 – 60 10.9 Seconds

0 – 90 28.2 Seconds

Standing ¼ mile 17.8 secs

Overall fuel consumption (mpg) - 26.0

Those of you apparently getting over 30mpg must be driving your cars like old women!

You will huge variations simply by how you drive & the general condition of the car & is it standard or modified, take into consideration tyre width, pressure & make .

Weight of driver, tools, spares, full tank or half tank of fuel etc etc

Some drive for pure fun & sod the MPG while others try to acheive reasonable MPG.

Nothing wrong with either it is your choice.

For me it is all about SPG not MPG ( Smiles Per Gallon) or even FPG (Fun Per Gallon)

Cheers

Mike B)

TR4 o/d 87mm with "fast road" cam, gas flowed head and tubular exhaust, HS6 carbs with KW1 needles, RR set up by Peter Baldwin: I did 2000+ miles to Italy and back in June, avoiding autoroutes and taking scenic ways (Route Napoleon/ French Alps and was pleased to get just over 30 mpg on 98 RON.

Most recent run to CLM confirmed the figure.

Certainly uses less than TR5 travelling companion.

I am retired, btw, but pretend I am not....

:rolleyes:

Mike

If the spark isnt around 40-50 BTDC, which needs the vac advance capsule connected and working, and the AFR isnt slightly lean, around 16, then the engine is not performing at its best at cruise loads.

Peter

You failed to give us the Specification of your "Pensioner"!

There are some pensioners who can leave many youngsters wondering where the old fogey's car has gone (e.g. Ann Hall)!

Ian Cornish

You failed to give us the Specification of your "Pensioner"!

There are some pensioners who can leave many youngsters wondering where the old fogey's car has gone (e.g. Ann Hall)!

Ian Cornish

Description of this pensioner...........like some TRs a bit slow to start in the morning, like all my TRs accelerating hard at 70+

JJC

Excuse the late post, first chance to catch up with the forum

Just back form CLM, 32mpg, peak of 35, following the race car trailer pegged at 65mph

I have logged LNK for the last 35,000 miles, including everything from easy tours 35mpg to track days 22mpg, and everything in between.

Conclusion: 30 mpg +/- 10% (98 RON, HS6 Carbs)

Interesting that all the period road tests claim 25/26 mpg, the only one getting near to our modern figures is the Autosport Sept 1962 report, where they chased a rally and quoted 27-30mpg including long cruising transit sections at 90 mph+ B)

NB: Roger: Tank size, your post says 8 gallons, I'm pretty sure mine is 11+, giving me a range of 300 miles with a reserve (@30mpg ave)

The Motor road test July 11th 1962 states a 11.5 gallon tank and their 1968 TR5 test shows 11.25 (manufacturers data) ??

4/4a tank is 11 galls.I can usually get 340 and even managed 360 once and could still see fuel in the bottom but chickened out going any further.

Stuart.

:huh: Hi Peter,

I've been scratching my head about this one.

I know I regularly put in 40Ltrs with the gauge showing empty(ish). But!!! I don;t actually know how much is in the tank.

So I need to account for 10ltrs.

The nozzle is always fully in the tank - so it isn't quite brimmed :(

Perhaps it is 11 gals (50 ltrs).

The obvious answer is that Stuart has spoken - I will listen - I know he is right :)

Roger

Edited by RogerH