I like the look of Stuarts Dellorto's and looking into the rebuild kits they seem quite accessable but what inlet manifolds are you using Stuart?

Is there anyone out there in TR land thats fitted and run the Makuni's as I'd like to keep my options open and would like to hear from them with their opinions?

Gavin

They are standard Triumph Tune ones, not the best shape but the only other ones available now are the Cannon ones from the US.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart & Graze thanks for the info I'm going to look into both options and see how easy it is to get all the bits and source the suppliers.

But if anyone has any more ideas please post them as more info is much appreciated.

Gavin

Just bear in mind that you need to be clear what you want to do with the car first of all (trackday/fast road/race or Sunday driving/pootling down to the pub) and unless you are going to do some extra work on the breathing, balance, lightening, ignition and exhaust then you will be wasting your time with anything other than standard SU`s or Strombergs.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

The plan I have so far is:- Fast Road

upgrade and unlead the cylinder head

re-grind and balanced crank etc

fast road cam and upgrade the rockers

upgrade the pistons and liners (not decided how far to go yet)

upgrade oil filter and fit cooler

extractor exhaust system (maybe custom built)

upgrade carbs

I have already got a good Toyota W58 5 speed gearbox (good for 300hp) and just to get the HVDA conversion kit but I also like the classic look wire wheels etc but with a modern twist kind of like wolf in sheeps clothing.

I've started to fill the piggy bank but its going to be a long build as I'm also renovating an 1880's stone built cottage, and as you know you have to keep the wife happy even if it means the car gets done on the side.

Gavin

Hi Stuart

The plan I have so far is:- Fast Road

upgrade and unlead the cylinder head

Get it properly gas flowed

re-grind and balanced crank etc

Good, no more than 40 thou under max.

fast road cam and upgrade the rockers

Get cam and followers from the same source, cam does not need to be much more than standard to keep drivability.

upgrade the pistons and liners (not decided how far to go yet)

89mm is more than enough.

upgrade oil filter and fit cooler

Nothing wrong with standard system and unless you are going to be beating the life out of it all the time you dont need a cooler.

extractor exhaust system (maybe custom built)

Do your homework on these as there is a lot of rubbish about.

upgrade carbs

I have already got a good Toyota W58 5 speed gearbox (good for 300hp) Overdrive box is just as good and slicker with 7 speeds and just to get the HVDA Whats that? conversion kit but I also like the classic look wire wheels etc but with a modern twist kind of like wolf in sheeps clothing. If you want to beat the life out of it regularly you would be better off without wires.

I've started to fill the piggy bank but its going to be a long build as I'm also renovating an 1880's stone built cottage, and as you know you have to keep the wife happy even if it means the car gets done on the side.

Gavin

Suggestions in red.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart as always your advice is greatly appreciated, I've taken note of all you have said and will use it as a blue print for the work I plan to do.

I don't plan on hammering it hard and not into the boy racer thing so the traffic lights will be safe, but I would like to have the power on tap should I decide to plant my foot. And I'd like to have my car just a little bit different from the run of the mill TR4a. I really dont like the alloy's on the Tr's as for the minilite's what can i say it's a personal thing I suppose. And as for part of the modern twist have a look at the websites below.

If you cut and paste this into your address bar www.hvdaconversions.com/ Herman has developed a really good looking kit for mating a toyota W58 5 speed gearbox to tr2-6's and the toyota box is strong and bulletproof and doesn't leak and its a fraction of the price of Moss or Revingtons 5 speed conversions.

There is another one worth a look it's more of a standard clutch arrangment www.eaglegatellc.com/

let me know what you think of these conversions Stuart.

Gavin

P.S. here are a couple of sites with some background on the kits http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/5Speed.htm and http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/2011/09/01/hmn_feature5.html

Edited by stargazergs

Hi Gavin ~

If you PM me your eMail address I'll send you a copy of an article which I had published in TRaction

on how to improve SU carbs. Also, I'll send you photo's of the Dunlop 'D' type centre lock alloy wheels

fitted to my 3A.

Regards ~

Tom.

Thanks Stuart as always your advice is greatly appreciated, I've taken note of all you have said and will use it as a blue print for the work I plan to do.

I don't plan on hammering it hard and not into the boy racer thing so the traffic lights will be safe, but I would like to have the power on tap should I decide to plant my foot. And I'd like to have my car just a little bit different from the run of the mill TR4a. I really dont like the alloy's on the Tr's as for the minilite's what can i say it's a personal thing I suppose. And as for part of the modern twist have a look at the websites below.

If you cut and paste this into your address bar www.hvdaconversions.com/ Herman has developed a really good looking kit for mating a toyota W58 5 speed gearbox to tr2-6's and the toyota box is strong and bulletproof and doesn't leak and its a fraction of the price of Moss or Revingtons 5 speed conversions.

There is another one worth a look it's more of a standard clutch arrangment www.eaglegatellc.com/

let me know what you think of these conversions Stuart.

Gavin

P.S. here are a couple of sites with some background on the kits http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/5Speed.htm and http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/2011/09/01/hmn_feature5.html

I have tried a couple of cars with that type of conversion and TBH Im not keen, Also the price of the kit plus shipping plus actually finding one of those boxes that is any good (They are for quite an old style of box) then having the box rebuilt is more than an outright buy of a rebuilt O/drive box if you had nothing to start with.

I still prefer a properly set up O/drive box with a logic box fitted is a joy to use with its 7 speeds.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi Stuart

I managed to get a good W58 gearbox last year as I didn't like the ford option but as I said I'm keeping my options open, if a rebuilt or refurb O/D box came up at a reasonable price I may consider it. I'll stay in touch and let you know how I get on.

Gavin

Gavin,

26% overdrive works great with uprated engine = 120mph +

Ask Pete Cox for a price on rebuilt O/D box (he's done 3,000 of them and rising!)

Ask him for price on fully rebuilt engine while you're at it (you'll be amazed)

Kent cams TT1004N is the one everyone sells as fast road (Coxey has a hotter one if you want)

Pete Burgess does Coxeys heads (and everyone else's!) to whatever spec you want

Phoenix extractor exhaust manifold is decent quality but stainless steel can cause vibration noise in cabin (I'll go mild steel next time)

If you really think you need an oil cooler make sure you fit a thermostat in it otherwise you'll run too cool (ask me how I know)

You can get a spin-on filter head with sandwich plate for pipe take-off and thermostat all included (but I won't bother next time, the spin on filter is no easier to change than the original!)

Like you, I am interested in claims for Mikuni carbs - if they can get you 30% more power than 42DCOE Webers you'll win every race you enter!

Edited by Paul Harvey

Sound advice but I can't agree that a spin on filter is no easier to change than an original. With all that interminable unscrewing of the long bolt, moving the crankcase breather bracket out of the way and getting the bolt started when replacing. No thanks, not any more.

Thanks for the advice Guys, the main problem is when the car arrived it had a non O/D gearbox so I'd have to source a functioning O/D gearbox to start with and as I already had a working W58 from a Toyoya Supra it became the vaible candidate for an upgrade. but as I said I'll keep my options open and I've taken note of all the contacts you have forwarded to me.

I suppose there's that little bit in me that wants to be that wee bit different from the norm, Its funny how you start a post with one subject in mind but it develops into different aspects what you can ungrade on your car.

If you look at Stuart's post #30 I'll use his advice as a blueprint guide and it should keep me out of trouble but out of interest does Pete cox ro Pete Burgess have a website I can look at?

Gavin

Thanks again everyone as always the help and advice is really appreciated, there has been loads of imput and the more the merrier.

Gavin

• 3 weeks later...

Gavin

My Mikunis arrived today - they look the goods, now I just need to plan the install

WI'll be a few weeks away yet

Graze

+1 - very interested in how the Mikunis perform - supposed to be easy to tune.

Paul

Given my low skill base in this area I hope they are

Will keep you informed when I do it

Graeme

Hi Gavin

It's probably best to get you head and cam sorted first. And make sure you set the cam up with a timing disc and dial gauges, otherwise you will be wasting your time on the standard pulley marks. You can choose to advance or retard the cam a few degrees depending whether you go for torque or higher end grunt, but you will probably need vernier type pulleys for that.

The carbs I would suggest are the last thing on the list, as long as it or they deliver sufficient fuel through the rev range that's all you need.

When I ran a 2.0 litre hot rod on Spedeworth ovals, we got something like 168bhp from the pinto in virtually standard form, bar cam. The carburettor was a weber 32/36 as fitted standard but re-jetted and choked, and revved freely to 8500. So choosing big carbs might be a waste of time especially for road.

Deffinatly going to get the head sorted and the cam and vernier timing but the strombergs fitted at the moment are pretty much shott so I'm keeping my options open, Stuart has given me a list of options to improve the engine too which look good so all the suggestion's are going on the list and I'll see where I end up.

thanks again

Gavin