Imported car registration post DLVA closures

Hi,

Does anyone have experience of the procedure post closure of DLVA local offices?

Car in question is is Ex-USA 1962 TR4. All import paperwork present and correct (and Heritage Certificate) but not registered.

I will be giving Swansea a call today but there's nothing quite like being forearmed, and I'm fearing it wont be easy getting the right contact!

Thanks

I'm going to have to do the same with my 4a, so I'll be interested in your reply's and any advice you can pass on.

regards

Gavin

Me too, they really had it sorted before closing the local offices down, but thats progress?!

Will be interesting to note if they accept photocopies of

MOT

Insurance Certificate

US Title document.

They are ACE at losing stuff at Swansea. If you do send the genuine docs, I would recommend you make your own photocopies, don't ask how I know.

Edited by pfenlon

Hi all, how I done mine was fill in a v55 form with a cheque for £55 send it off with heritage cert ( original) insurance ,photo copy driving license , if it's on the nova system that's great ,if it was imported before that came in you have to write to the customs for them to email Swansea so they can confirm duties has been paid!

Regards nick

Hey, thanks guys.

Nick, you make it sound really straight forward. But I will note the earlier "getting things lost" warning!

Since posting I did manage to contact a very helpful guy called Daniel at the DVLA, although I had boned-up prior by looking at https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/new-registrations - which was all very much in line with your description Nick.

My main query was the bit that said "for cars >10 years old contact the DLVA". Daniel's answer was all this meant was that I needed to include all the extraneous documentation that I had to substantiate the cars provenance. Stuff from the US etc. I thought this was covered elsewhere so was a little surprised by the explanation but glad it wasn't any more arduous.

But as they say ..the proof is in the pudding.. so I'm aiming at the weekend to fire up for the first time and if that goes OK its MOT for next week followed by my application the the DLVA. After 20 years I can believe I'm that close. And really all thanks to my son who will have taken 3 years out of his life in Australia to kick his 'ol man's butt TO GET IT DONE!!!....Thanks Steve!

I will let you all know how it goes under the new regime.

Thanks again for the contributions.

Norman

Edited by TRnorm

I have just been through this hurdle. If you bought a few years ago from a vat registered trader he would have given you a form C&M 289 this has to be converted to have the car registered on the nova system ( By Customs and excise ) with that number a V55 form ( leave all the **** about eec conformity information blank ) the personal ID required, registration fee, purchase receipt , heritage certificate MOT if required. All done and dusted within 10 days.

Regards Peter Harper

That's interesting Peter. I have a number of questions - if you don't mind.

• Yes - I bought the car from a dealer 20 years ago (restoration takes a long time with me).

• The Form that I have is C&E 386 which shows that Customs charges have been paid. I guess this form is a predecessor to the one you mention(?)

• The bit I didn't understand was converting to a Nova number. Is this something that needs to be done prior to submitting the V55/5 form to the DLVA? If so, how do you go about this Nova bit?

• Did you have to submit any additional evidence other than what you listed? I ask because the guy at the DLVA I spoke to was suggesting to include stuff like the US Title etc. I'm wondering if there are two approaches. 1) where you do not get a Nova number but have to supply more info to the DLVA for registration to prove provenance, and 2) where you get the Nova number and that makes it a simpler process.

Must say, if I could get a 10 day turn-round that would be brilliant, so any further enlightenment would much appreciated.

PS

What was the age of the car you did it with?

RE-READING THESE POSTS I REALIZE THAT NICK ALSO REFERS TO THE NOVA SYSTEM AND SAYS TO CONTACT CUSTOMS AND EXCISE FOR THEM TO CONFIRM TO DLVA ETC. SO, I GUESS THIS IN PART ANSWERS MY QUESTION, BUT ANY FURTHER DETAIL WOULD STILL BE VERY HELPFUL. SORRY IF I'M A BIT SLOW ON ALL THIS!

Thanks

Norman

Edited by TRnorm

Hi there,

I have been pursuing the NOVA "clue" kindly provided by Messrs Nick and Peter and now feel quite confident that i know what applies in my case.

I appreciate that most of the contributors to this topic have been through the hoops but this will perhaps be of interest to Gavin who is apparently following hot on my heals!

For me, the key was finding the following link to the FBHVC site which I thought very clearly explains the purpose of NOVA and in particular how you get onto their register if your car/project was imported prior to the set-up of the NOVA scheme in 2013.

http://fbhvc.co.uk/about-us/news/_article/22/hmrc-issues-guidelines-for-registering-restoration-projects-imported-prior-to-nova/

However, the advice in the above link says that in my case, as I have the duly stamped C & E 386 form, I do not need to make any representation to NOVA as the DLVA will accept the C&E 386 without question.

What is particularly useful about the link is that if the history of your project is not clearly documented then the way-to-go is well covered.

Have to say that I didn't think about the FBHVC, but in this case it was most helpful.

So it's off the the DLVA with their completed V55/5 and my C&E 386 - and lets hope it's as quick as Peter's experience.

Norman

Edited by TRnorm

The people who issue the Nova number are:- Car Teams HMRC, National clearance hub, Ralli Quays, 3 Stanley st, Salford Manchester M60 9HL

tel 03000 579069 I cannot comment on your form number but as the 289 form was filled in by the Selling VAT Registered dealer and therefore was not signed or stamped by customs and excise it was not acceptable Mine was imported dec 2012 I bought it in june 2013 and registered it in may 2014.

Peter

Thanks for that Peter, It's good to have the NOVA people's details should it prove necessary.

Norman

• 3 weeks later...

Registering an imported TR is not all fun.

I sent all the documents required to the DVLA - V55, Heritage certificate, New Zealand registration, Customs 386, MOT, Insurance cert, copy of driving license, household bill, pictures of the car including closeups of the chassis plate and engine number and cheque for £55 for my 1962 TR3B.

This seemed to satisfy the system and after a couple of weeks they sent me a log book and tax disc and a registration number T60 *** for a 1999 car!!!!

After communicating with them (it took a while) they seemed to recognise the error of their ways so I now have sent the registration documents back and have to wait for them to correct their error and issue a 1962 age related number.

The closing of the local offices was not their best move!

Good luck in your attempts.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I took the advice and got the car onto the NOVA register which was straightforward and took just 5 or 6 days to get all my supporting paperwork back. Well done the "Car Team" at HMRC.

My 4 got through the MOT first time round yesterday - WOW what a result! Although not without a few hiccups (too embarrassing to detail) - so a big thanks to Neil at Redbourn MOT centre is in order.

And of course - A Big Thanks to all you Forum guys without whose help.......!

Next step is DVLA and hope to avoid Robin's experience.

Without wishing to sound like I've just won an Oscar (but it does feel a little like it) Thanks Mike M-D and sons Steve and Chris.

Now I've time to breath I must update the Icon'y thingme.

Norman

One thing I would suggest that you do is provide a brief Motor engineers report saying he has inspected the car and that all numbers appear to be original and matching the documentary evidence provided. I would provide a set of pictures that illustrate that car is a complete running car and not a box of bits, with close ups of the commission plates etc etc. The more you provide the better as they seem to be more interested that they aren't condoning a clone or potential for one.

O might be worth stressing that you want an age related registration.

If you want a draft of the accepted letter that I provided to DVLA send me a pm.

I had a painless process to get back my original registration number prior to the car being exported as part of the ST personal export scheme.

Hi All,

I've recently been involved in assisting a member of my TR Group to have his TR3A, imported from South Africa registered in the UK.

Depite sending in all the correct paperwork and confirmation of date of manufacture from the BMHIT his application was rejected on the grounds of lack of dating evidence.

On further investigation and more telephone contact with DVLA it appears that following the closure of the local DVLA offices not all of the remaining staff at DVLA are aware of the BMHIT as the keeper of the original manufacturing records and their role in confirming dates and details of classic cars..

This issue has now been addressed by the TR2-3 Registra, Mike Ellis and the BMHIT themselves. I understand DVLA staff are now being instructed that BMHIT are the source of dating evidence. Hope the message is getting through - the member I'm assisting is still awaiting a response from his re application.

So good luck everyone trying for a UK registration before the summer's out!.

Cheers,

JEFF

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that Robin. My V55/5 went off to the DVLA 8 days ago and so far I've heard nothing, but I accept that's not (yet) unreasonable. So fingers crossed.

Norman

Best of luck Norman, let us know how you get on, my NOVA notification came through middle of last month so hopefully my application should be plain sailing when I get around to it.

Gavin

Progress at last, I got a phone call today to say that the T60 registration was a clerical error (typo!), it should have been 760 and they are sending me the correct paperwork in the post. It took them 2 weeks to find that out.

So from applying for the V55 to getting the registration will be 6 weeks or half the summer! What with 2 months wait for a passport and up to 18 weeks or more for an operation, aren't government associated enterprises wonderful! They would never last five minutes in the commercial world.

Rant over.

UPDATE......Success!

On the 7th working day since the DVLA got the V55/5 I get my V5C.

Glad I got on the NOVA database first as advised, and worth the time getting the supporting US Title, Heritage certificate and covering letter all ship-shape for the application.

Thanks for all the contributions, and good luck to Gavin.

Please come and say Hello if you're at Classics on the Common - in the words of the Four Tops.... I'll be there.

Norman

PS

Got the "Tax disc" and all my supporting docs back the following day.

Edited by TRnorm