noisy water pump/dynamo/fanbelt?

Just a helpful tip I learned today from our group leader who is all things when it comes to TR maintenance. I had a noise coming from around water pump/dynamo or fan belt area. Just about to dismantle first 2 when I decided to visit said group leader who produced the ubiquitous WD40. A quick squirt on the pulleys and the fan belt was silenced. Easy when you know what to do!

It'll last for a while and the noise will probably return but it's a good diagnostic technique. You can get dedicated belt dressing which will last a bit longer but has a tendency to get flung about under the bonnet. If it was OK and has just started to make a noise you probably want to think about replacing the fan belt.

Edited by peejay4A

What a co-incidence. I got the 4A out of the garage after sitting there for 3 or 4 days and lo & behold noisy water pump pulley/ Alt.

Quick blast of WD40 and is good again.

But as you say Pete it may come back quickly then new belt time.

Roger

I had this problem for a long time nad tried evry possible solution incorporating WD40, belt dressings, various snake oils etc and they all seemed to work for a time.

Wishing to approach this problem in a scientific manner, I tried making just one change at a time and awaiting the result. The first change I made was to replace the toothed wide belt with a new untoothed (if that is the correct word?) plain one and the problem has disappeared.

Anyone in need of a fairly new toothed wide belt? I have one in my scrap box FOC!

Regards

John

Ps I have no idea as to why this solution worked but would be interested in other people's views.

Thanks to John Martin. Mine is a toothed belt (first time I've used one of these). Maybe time for a new one. I have a spare clipped with a couple of plastic ties ready to pop on so I don't have to jack engine up to change fan belt. Learnt this trick a long time ago and came in very useful when fan belt disintegrated in France on 2 occasions. Incidentally discovered that the wide fan belt also seem to fit agricultural mowers in France.

Have been thoroughly enjoying Rogers rebuild diary -brilliant. Should publish them in a book!

Keith