Another nice one - interestingly, has anyone tried this door mounted wing mirror position ?

Austin

My 3A has door mounted mirrors on both sides. Worst thing a PO did. Utterly useless. Can't see the nearside one and have to lean out to use the offside one which cannot be seen with the side screen on. Don't do it!!! If you can mount one at the base of the windscreen stanchion that in my view is the most elegant solution.

Miles

Edited by MilesA

Thanks Miles. By chance the lower screw on each side of tne Stanchion is stripped, so the opportunity is there to get a fatter one in.

Thanks Bob, that would work on mine as the sidescreens come nowhere near the lower part of the Stanchion ! Did you fabricate the arm ?

No, I severely re-shaped the one which came with the mirror. The one I bought is currently on eBay item No. 181385124935

this has a 3" dia mirror which is a bit small, also the mirror is a rather sloppy fit which means it is always moving out of the correct position.

When it is in the right position it works well though.

A better bet may be eBay item No. 160637004299 this is a 4" mirror, & looks as if the ball joint friction can be adjusted with three screws.

On mine you cannot do anything about the friction.

Bob.

P.S.

I have just bought one of the above 4" mirrors myself, I can use the arm I already have, & can pass on the previous mirror on the new arm.

"used" catagory of course !

Sadly I am dzus - otherwise that would be the ideal option Bob - does the widescreen catch yours when you open the door ?

I presume you mean sidescreen, That was the reason for the re-shaping of the bracket, to move the mirror forward enough

to avoid the sidescreen hitting it. So no, it misses (just).

The bracket clamps onto the outer part of the stanchion with two grub screws with pointed ends. Once I had determined the best spot for it

I drilled two small indentations in the appropriate place for the grub screws to lock into.

Bob.

Austin,

All is not lost.

Get a spare Dzus pin,

Cut the mirror arm thread end off.

Mark up the angle of the arm needed when Dzus pin is locked.

Then get the two welded together at this angle.

When the finished arm is twisted into a locked position you can then adjust the mirror glass on the arm.It won't foul the sides screen and easy peasy to remove and insert another Dzus pin for that original look.

Edited by Rodbr

The new 4" mirror arrived today, (see above - eBay item No. 160637004299) I left my modified bracket on the car, and simply swapped the mirror part.

now much improved, the mirror is clamped to the stem by a plate with three screws used to tighten the swivel action.

Out of the box it was about right - you can just about move the mirror to aim it, but only a hard knock will move it by accident.

The increased size is good, also the mirror is convex, so gives a wider field of view, than the previous flat one.

And it is still easy to position so that it does not get hit by the side screen when opening the door.

Highly recommended.

Bob.

I assume you straightened out the two 90 degree kinks, which explains why your arms look longer ?

Yes, had to to get the mirror far enough forward to avoid the sidescreen. Was not that hard though, probably took an hour or so, with lots of trial fits inbetween. I can take more detailed photos if you like.

Bob.