Hi, I'm progressing (slowly) with my TR4 rebuild, putting together the rear valance and the rear wing it has taken a while to line everything up with the boot lid. in the area around the rear lights I have repaired and installed the original tail lamp housing and i have been putting the rear wing on and off to make sure it all lines up, so far so good, shut lines are looking good etc.

When I attempted to place the lamp cluster on the wing to check it all lines up I found that the wing in the area where the lights go over the wing is longer than the light fitting by 3/8, what I thought was an original wing is obviously not as the light fitting fits the other wing ok. although the overall wing dimensions match.

The only solution would appear to cut out the lower part of the wing light mounting move it up to fit and then patch in a piece of sheet metal.

Has anybody come across this problem before? are there light fittings that are longer than standard ? and if when I eventually replace the original light fittings what size will these be?

It seems curious, even though I realise that the dimensions of the pressed parts are somewhat "creative" I had assumed that these dimensions would at least accommodate the lights, Oh the innocence of the inexperienced !! and it was all going so well.

Anyway back to the drawing board, any comments would be appreciated ( keep 'em clean )

Down but not downhearted

Ron

The Moss replacement rear-lights are extremly close in size and shape to the originals.

The original Lucas lenses will fit and they go interchangeably on my rear wings.

Post a picture of the rear wing fit problem. Its hard to imagine from the description.

Hi Alan, problem solved,

I was probably thinking too deep about it, tea break, then a swift bashing with the hammers and dollies, back on track.

One tip though, if you are using a blowlamp to heat the metal try to pick a pair of gloves without a hole in the thumb part !!

Regards

Ron