Having acquired a steel hardtop, after a loose fitting I found that the sidecsreens are a much better fit than with the flappy hood.

(early 3a with wedge widescreen mount and dzus stanchion fittings)

The sidescreens need re-trimming in any case, so there is a window in which to bendyweldy their frames (see what I did there 'window'), however, before I set about them, I wondered if the stanchion might be the cause of my woes.

The main failing seems to be at the top edge to the stanchion and the screen frame, where the stanchion seems to be too far back by about 5-7mm (possibly a little more if allowing for the front vinyl edge to fit too.

I assume this is a sign of the stanchion being pulled over time by PO's getting in and out of the car. Oddly on the passenger side the gap is generally larger between stanchion and frame all the way down.

I have no way of telling if either the stanchions or sidescreens are original.

Is there any way to tell if a stanchion is bent (it appears to be straight) - or is it more likely that the mounting plate on the body would have twisted backwards (anticlockwise) slightly ? (I haven't taken it off yet to look at the holes behind)

I assume there is no set reliable dimension from top of screen to say the uplift below the rear capping as all tubs will be off by a few mm at the very least and trying to measure screen angle off horizontal or vertical will be equally 'vague'

When I fit the hardtop properly - would this serve to push a stanchion back up slightly?

I assume when loose fitting the hardtop, with dzus stanchion fittings I can't really have them loose on fitting too as they will just give way and scrape down the nice shiny body??

Thoughts dear sages

ps - visual inspection of this and many other tr3a issues will be available (assuming the MSA permit comes through) at the SE Drive-It Day next Sunday. (just follow the plough like furrows in the grass caused by failing leaf springs.