Hello All,

Anybody come across or familiar with a 777 camshaft. This is the only info. I have to the one fitted to my newly acquired TR4. Previous owner knows no more than this designation. What does the 777 mean, what are the profiles & importantly what should The valve settings be when cold?

Cheers,

Monty.

Cmon Monty, Isky TR-777 with 15 thou tappet setting, Google is your friend.

Mick Richards

Mick Richards

Many thanks Mick, always prefer the great knowledge of you guys than Google but yes should have looked!

Is that 15 thou on both inlet & exhaust?

Cheers.

It could be a Racetorations one......

Yes Dick, it is from Racetorations but finding it difficult to get answers from there. Seems to have gone to ground a bit.

Cheers.

Mick Richards

Sorry Mick, is that tappet setting cold & perhaps say 17 thou on the exhaust?

Cheers.

Somewhere I have got the setting info. Do you want me to find it.

Would be much appreciated Dick. I am assuming 15 thou inlet & 17 thou exhaust.

Regards & many thanks,

Monty.

Search out Tilden Cams on the web, they have a list of multiple cams from different suppliers including all data regarding lift etc and setting clearances, and they show the 777 cam as 15 thou for inlet and exhaust, not specified hot or cold but In absence of advice always set cold.

If you can put a DTI (clock) on the top of one of the pushrods you can measure the lift which would help confirm which cam this 777 is, there are a couple of 777s showing including a Kent cam one.

Mick Richards

Hi Monty,

Data sheet that came with my cam.....two attachments.....one is my scribling on the back.

Regards

Dick.

Hi Monty,

Data sheet that came with my cam.....two attachments.....one is my scribling on the back.

Regards

Dick.

Thanks for that Dick. It appears I have the same cam as you from Racetorations. Surprised though @ the difference in clearances from that TR-777 specified in the listing provided by Mick. That Tilden list shows a clearance of 15 thou compared to your note showing 24 thou.

How have you got on with that Racetorations cam assuming a clearance of 24 thou? Now in a dilemma of whether to set @ 15 or 24!

Think mine must be the latter as the tappets sound quite noisy. Would I have problems if set to 15?

Cheers,

Monty.

Hi Monty,

The .024 is the setting up clearance only. I used standard tappet clearances. The cam is a good road cam.....lots of torque through out the rev. range and still a reasonable tickover and fuel consumption.

I used it with 87mm forged pistons and a compresion ratio of around 9:1. Standard SUs on an SAH inlet manifold and standard exhaust manifold with the shorter TR2 silencer. Cleaned up the ports and fitted a distributer with no vacuum advance that supposedly matched the cam.

TR 2 lightened flywheel.

Thin belt conversion and alternator.

Standard water pump and radiator...no overheating issues.

It' all been together for 20 odd years with no issues and is fast enough for me and holds it's own against most traffic. Will cruise at 4000rpm in top overdrive...on private roads of course.

Recently took the engine to pieces as the liner seals failed......no perceivable wear. Replaced the rings and bearing shells as a matter of course now back to bending the rev. counter needle again.

Was looking to find a way of increasing 1st gear ratio as it is too easy to run out of revs. but probably never will.

I reckon that a 777 is a good compromise for a road car.

Dick

Hi Monty,

The .024 is the setting up clearance only. I used standard tappet clearances. The cam is a good road cam.....lots of torque through out the rev. range and still a reasonable tickover and fuel consumption.

I used it with 87mm forged pistons and a compresion ratio of around 9:1. Standard SUs on an SAH inlet manifold and standard exhaust manifold with the shorter TR2 silencer. Cleaned up the ports and fitted a distributer with no vacuum advance that supposedly matched the cam.

TR 2 lightened flywheel.

Thin belt conversion and alternator.

Standard water pump and radiator...no overheating issues.

It' all been together for 20 odd years with no issues and is fast enough for me and holds it's own against most traffic. Will cruise at 4000rpm in top overdrive...on private roads of course.

Recently took the engine to pieces as the liner seals failed......no perceivable wear. Replaced the rings and bearing shells as a matter of course now back to bending the rev. counter needle again.

Was looking to find a way of increasing 1st gear ratio as it is too easy to run out of revs. but probably never will.

I reckon that a 777 is a good compromise for a road car.

Dick

Very many thanks for that Dick. Your spec. Is very similar to mine except I have twin Webers & full-flow exhaust manifold. Only had this car for a few weeks but engine has only done 4000 miles. I wanted to check the valve clearances as they are a little noisy. What are your standard tappet clearances compared to the .024? I today have put both inlet & exhaust @ .015 & am now worried that they should be closer to the .024 as per your Racetorations info. Your thoughts? Agree the cam is good.

Regards,

Monty.

Hi Monty,

The .024 is not the valve clearances....this is the setting for the cam timing only...see my scribble....pdf2.

Set the valve clearances at.......

Inlets....0.010 cold

Exhausts....0.12 cold

Let us know how you get on.

Dick

Hi Monty,

The .024 is not the valve clearances....this is the setting for the cam timing only...see my scribble....pdf2.

Set the valve clearances at.......

Inlets....0.010 cold

Exhausts....0.12 cold

Let us know how you get on.

Dick

Have already today set inlet & exhaust to .015 cold. Should I re-adjust or will that be ok? All clearances were much more than .015 earlier today, giving rattling & suggesting perhaps a .024 setting by the previous owner. My other 4A has a Triumphtune road cam TT1104 which in the Moss brochure says both inlet & exhaust clearance as .013 (with their fast road TT1004 saying inlet .022 & exhaust .024) hence my confusion!

Cheers.

Monty,

If you have the Racetorations 777 cam and use the Racetorations info Dick has provided above, then the cam should be set to 107 deg, and the valve clearances should be .024". Setting the gap incorrectly could damage the cam/followers/valves.

I am not sure what Dick means by 'setting up clearance of .024'. Can you clarify Dick?

Cheers

Graeme

Monty,

If you have the Racetorations 777 cam and use the Racetorations info Dick has provided above, then the cam should be set to 107 deg, and the valve clearances should be .024". Setting the gap incorrectly could damage the cam/followers/valves.

I am not sure what Dick means by 'setting up clearance of .024'. Can you clarify Dick?

Cheers

Graeme

Yes Graeme, that 'setting up clearance' has confused me too. I have read the .024 in the Racetorations sheet to be the valve clearances to be set during general servicing. I also assume set cold.

Cheers.

Given the confusion regarding the number of 777 cams retailed (at least 3 different mentioned here, whether some being an offering retailed by a supplier, who knows ?)) I think a positive identification is required to pin down which tappet setting is correct.

Refer to my previous reply regarding how to, DTI on the pushrod set on the clearance ramp and measure the lift of the cam (needs to be done on inlet and exhaust) hopefully that would then help define which 777spec it is Isky,Kent or Racetorations, or if indeed all are the same profiles.

Mick Richards

Hi Monty,

Am I right in assuming that your engine is complete, in the car and you only want to set the valve clearances?

If so then forget the 0.024 as it is a measurement to time the cam when fitting for the first time as the original timing marks are no longer relevant. After this clearance is used and the cam, timing chain et al are fitted then standard clearaces are set...see below.

If you just want to set the valve clearances they are 0.10 inlets and 0.12 exhausts set cold. The valve clearances are a function of the thermal expansion of the valve train...setting them wider is ok but they will clatter and you will reduce valve lift.....don't set them tighter or you will burn valves.

Regards,

Dick.

Hi Monty,

Am I right in assuming that your engine is complete, in the car and you only want to set the valve clearances?

If so then forget the 0.024 as it is a measurement to time the cam when fitting for the first time as the original timing marks are no longer relevant. After this clearance is used and the cam, timing chain et al are fitted then standard clearaces are set...see below.

If you just want to set the valve clearances they are 0.10 inlets and 0.12 exhausts set cold. The valve clearances are a function of the thermal expansion of the valve train...setting them wider is ok but they will clatter and you will reduce valve lift.....don't set them tighter or you will burn valves.

Regards,

Dick.

Hi Dick,

Thanks again for the info. In all the specs. for the various suppliers I have looked @ in the past few days, people like Revington, Moss (Triumphtune), Kent & Racetorations all show settings for inlet & exhaust that give the impression that those are the settings to be used during the life of the camshaft not just in setting up, hence my continuing confusion. For example a Triumphtune TT1104 road cam shows in the Moss brochure clearances for both inlet & exhaust as 0.013, so what would that translate too using your formula? Likewise your Racetorations sheet shows a 666 cam with tappets as 0.015. Just to make matters even worse, Revington give the settings to be done hot! The Kent website again gives the impression that the settings are the day to day figures for inlet & exhaust with no mention of setting up figures being different.

My car was fitted with a reground 777 cam from Racetorations by the previous owner so I am assuming it is an actual Racetorations item rather than somebody else's '777'. In the course of checking @ the weekend it appears the settings from new by Racetorations were close to 0.024 & certainly nowhere near 0.010/0.012. After Mick suggested the cam might be an Isky 777 I hastily went ahead & adjusted to 0.015 which is where I am now. Do not really want to do the whole process of adjustment again but still worried by the differences that appear to exist as previously indicated by my research into the products of the usual Triumph suppliers such as Revington etc.

More help please!

Hi Monty,

It's not critical. Run it on 0.015. If it is a bit noisy then close them down to 0.012 and 0.010 when convenient.

Mine is also a Racetorations regrind.....one of the first.

Run the car as it is, the clearances will probably close up a little given the low miles after it was rebuilt.

Unless you know it has been done I would re torque the head bolts in the near future. You will then need to re set the clearances as you will have to remove the rocker shaft to get at some of the head nuts.

I don't know where you are but you could go along to the nearest local meeting and someone there could give you some advice / assurance. The location and times are on this site.

Get back if you need to,

Regards,

Dick