Fascinating.

So if an SU needle is a bit too rich...

What happens to the metal vapour that misses the workpiece? I'd not want to be breathing that in too often.

That is a thing of beauty, and a joy forever.

I compare that with expert surgery, working with the material.

The craftsman is an American; I hope and expect that the same could be done in the UK.

Thanks for posting, Alan.

JOhn

I have had things done in the UK.

Its not an expensive process because as you see the equipment is basic and its quite quick.

He does another job in a recent video and here you can see the powder just runs by gravity into the flame.

Its reassuring that he milled a keyway and it didn't pull off!

I was taught to do this with aluminium onto ferrous material as an apprentice.

Proper surface preparation was critical and the work piece had to be sprayed immediately after grit blasting.

The tool was like an oxy/acetylene torch with the addition of a pure aluminium wire feed. (bit like a MIG) You lit the torch, warmed the item to be sprayed that was rotating on a large spit, then turned on the wire feed. The stuff that missed stuck to the wall behind the spit and had to be cleaned off periodically. Final task when it was cool was to wire brush to fettle the surface.

The out come was a very corrosion proof coating used on turbine engine combustion chamber casings.

I did my TR2 rocker cover and exhaust manifold in 1971 the manifold is still looking quite nice, I sold the rocker cover at Malvern some years back. Also did the hangar manager's blower Bentley exhaust system and manifolds, I wonder if that is still around... He bought me a Kit-Kat and a coffee for my efforts.

Another task I was taught in the plating and process department.

Reclaiming worn rotating shafts by hard chrome plating, stress relieving then grinding to size. Fiddly as you had to mask the shafts with hard wax and then expose only the journal areas to be plated.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

As an apprentice aircraft technician for Field Aircraft Services, part of The Hunting Group. My apprenticeship gave me a thorough grounding in business operation and manual tasks that serve me still today.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Back in the Seventies the unit next to mine used to do hot Zinc metal spraying using a similar setup to the one that Pete W was describing. Trouble was when the wind was in the wrong direction you used to get a taste in your mouth like you had just had some fillings put in your teeth! :wacko:

Stuart.

We had a MGA chassis plasma zinc sprayed one Sunday cash in hand, in early '70s. No fume extraction, just a big shed. The lads who worked there would not have been told about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever