Speedo cable routing

Morning sages. I am about to replace my second speedo cable in a few years. There seem to only two alternative routes I can find

Route one entails running the cable alongside the gearbox driver's side and up through the bulkhead grommet so that the cable will eventually slip onto the exhaust, melt the plastic, cook the innards and shear.

Route two uses a set screw in the gearbox top cover to fix a loop to which guides the cable away from the exhaust and then up through the bulkhead grommet. In this case the inner cable snaps when the outer cable settles with too tight a curve.

Does anyone have a route three or four which does not entail either stripping out the whole bloody interior or crawling about underneath the car for half the sodding morning?

And is there such a thing as a TR which will run for 1000 miles with nothing going wrong?

I'll get my coat!

David, I just use a longer screw for one of the gearbox cover s news and use a 'P' clip on that and a bolt, holds cable away from exhaust, retains original routing take 5 mins. Ok you will need to reach under car but not get under it. Answer to 2nd question is yes, had quite a few Tr s and once set up very reliable. It's the Once set up bit that takes a bit of effort. Mind you dont read any of my recent posts...

Edited by RobinTR6