I am doing the same as riverstar however I am not a flat pack man so I need guidance and have been trying to follow the Haynes manual which I find confusing. I have removed the upper wishbones, damper, steering and the rear two bolts connecting the lower wishbones from the spring pan which I am supporting on a jack do I now lower the jack and remove the remaining bolts from the pan or will the spring still be under pressure

Sharky,

Do not touch anything else, you sound like you on the way to having an accident.

Unbolt and remove the shock absorber.

In its place fit a long 12mm diameter threaded rod, large thick washer at the top with nut and plenty of projecting thread.

Underneath, fit a plate wide enough to bear on the pan with double nuts to lock it in position.

Make sure all the nuts are reasonably tight - the rod should be firmly in place with no possible movement.

Only once this rod is in place can you remove the bolts holding the wishbones to the pan.

After removal of the fixings, slowly release the top nut on the threaded rod and the compression in the spring is released in a controlled manner.

Once fully slack you can remove the threaded rod and coil spring.

Also I would suggest you best get hold of a proper Triumph Workshop Manual before you go any further...........!!!

In fact I do have a spare TR4/4A Workshop Manual if you are interested.

Regards, Richard

Forget all that. Just use the centre rod as above for remove and refit.

TR is the only coil spring I will work on these days.

Its because I regard this method as impossible to slip or fail.

Compressors that work on a sloping coil seem too likely to come off to me.

Edited by AlanT

Hi Chris,

Richard has given you the correct method. Do not use the side clamp spring compressors.

using the stud is very simple and safe.

On another thread there is mention of having an extra nut on the top incase the top nut strips its thread.

Roger