I plan to replace my suspension bushes over the weekend and will need to remove the front coil springs so will be making up my own spring compressor, mindful of what could go wrong would it help if I placed my trolley jack under the spring pan to act as a secondary form of compression and as a safety measure?

In that situation you are jacking the spring against the weight of the car...the car will naturally lift off any axle stands or other Jack as you take-up the weight...if you are unlucky the whole lot will go sideways and the unrestrained spring will catapult your trolley Jack across the floor at a bone breaking speed... Use a proper spring compressor thru the shock mounts.

I used a length of 12mm studding through the top damper mounting and through a steel plate slid in between the lowest coil available above the spring pan.

I also used a spare wheel bearing at the top and copper slip on the threads to minimize friction.

Always fit a another nut behind the driving nut that you are winding down, in the event of the nut or studding stripping it gives a secondary chance of retaining the spring, cost is minimal and it could save you and your car from injury.

Mick Richards

Thanks for the advice. Dave you seem to have a impressive stable of vehicles perhaps you should take on the three unloved vehicles outside the Georgetown Museum, they look in a sorry state a great contrast to the excellent exhibits inside.

Chris