What's your favorite kind of work on your car?

Working on cars and motorbikes I always liked the mechanical part of it, such as tuning, replacing bearings etc, also painting is fun at least when I get a decent result.

I always wanted to learn welding but for some reason never got around to buying a welder. As I got my TR6 last year a welder was needed and I got a no-gas Clarke, not the prettiest welds with the flux core but looks decent with some angle grinding.

The thing is that I absolutely love to use this welder and can't wait to use it next time, welding has become my favorite part of working on the car!

Least favorite? Probably scraping off old underbody sealant...

like welding ehh, see if ye still like it when a blob of weld has dropped onto yer welding glove,

ye get the smellof swinged leather, then feel the pain as the bigg molten blob slowly eats into yer skin,

along wid the awfy smellof frying flesh.

or yer welding, and cos there so much smoke, ye dont realise that yer on fire

untill either yer arms got hot,or yer nether parts start to feel warm,

or under seal, just mysteriously explodes and squirts oot in a molten jet ,

on to what ever part of ye it can find uncovered.

or a nice bigg fat spark jumps oot and lands on top of yer heed,

boring a hole into yer scalp,

it will happen, it does happen, ohh the joys of welding underneath an olde banger.

have fun,

M

Oh God, don't get Peter Dykins started!

As for me, cutting back dead paintwork and bringing it back to life where possible............least favourite? - cleaning up afterwards!

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Work that has not got to be done to a deadline.

When running the 6 as a sole daily driver for ten years getting a quick turnaround over Sat and Sun ready for work Monday was a pain.

Cracked pistons, UJs , gearbox, clutch, suspension bushes, trailing arm bracket failure, front wheel bearings..... a 150k mile long list.

Hated it. But great sense of achievement when car was working again Sunday evenings.

The PI worried me at first - no Lucas support, and pre-Pumfords era - but it never went wrong until eventually the pump started to drip fuel on the ground.

Hi Markus,

many moons ago I was welding a repair to my 4A bonnet. The smell of burning that you refer to reached my nostrils but I ignored it.

Eventually my right foot started to feel warm, very warming. When I looked down I saw that the fabric tongue of trainer had caught light.

Wire wool is another good one to catch fire.

My real joy is making new things that others perhaps don;t - electric windows, stainless bits here and there.

Roger

Hi Markus,

many moons ago I was welding a repair to my 4A bonnet. The smell of burning that you refer to reached my nostrils but I ignored it.

Eventually my right foot started to feel warm, very warming. When I looked down I saw that the fabric tongue of trainer had caught light.

Wire wool is another good one to catch fire.

My real joy is making new things that others perhaps don;t - electric windows, stainless bits here and there.

Roger

Roger

Shame on you you should know of all people that you should wear decent leather workboots when welding!

A lesson I Iearnt the hard way when a blob of weld fell onto my nylon trainer and melted through into my foot a few mm. The worst part was digging the metal and nylon out of my foot with a knife !

No matter how quick the job is now I always use proper footwear and clothing

Cheers

Alan

I very well remember in the 1960th being trapped with the steel bracelet of my wristwatch between the solenoid battery connection and the earth.

Glued itself solid to the arm..... :( :( Use some kind expressions while detatching it :wub: Still can notice the traces 50 years later

Edited by jean

Peter is so right, I enjoy all jobs on my cars also as long as there is not a deadline my life in business is sometimes stresfull and nothing relaxes me more than getting into the garage, or a close second a bottle of Margeaux