Hi Tom,

The spring is clamped under the front bracket that holds the mechanism. If I remember correctly there is an up turn at the back on opposite side to the pivot point the wire sit sandwiched between the scuttle and the bracket with the wire forward of the two bolty screw thingys.. I'll try to take a piccy for you tomorrow and email it.

Just doing this job with my brother on his 3A.

Have ordered cap screws to hold the hinge down so there is a bit of movement 'fore and aft' to allow the back edge of the lid clearance on the scuttle recess. On my car I attacked the screw heads with the lathe to get some 'slop' . (the full sized screw heads touch the hinge return edge thus stopping the adjustment of the flap in a forward direction.

NB - The 4 original mounting holes are threaded 10-32 UNF not 2BA or some curious metric form.

screws link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-32-UNF-A2-STAINLESS-SOCKET-CAPS-IMPERIAL-HEXAGON-HEX-ALLEN-BOLTS-SCREWS-/190953078013?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Before you paint it all fit and adjust the rod + nicely painted mechanism, then disconnect the mechanism from the lid, leaving it in place with the spring - I used a 1/4 clevis pin with a R clip from TR6 brake pad retaining pins, for ease of fitment.

When you come to fit the nicely painted lid.....

Slide a sheet of thick plastic ( like a transparency sheet) down between the lid back edge and the scuttle depression. That way you can stand the lid up to get the screws for the hinge started then lower the lid to adjust/position/tighten without chipping or scratching the paint.

- ask me how I know.....

Final task then is to connect the spring and link of the mechanism to the lid using your 1/4 clevis and R clip.

Cheers

Peter W

PS do not glue the seal in place until you are HAPPY with the lid closing height. Lots of dry runs to be super sure before you get it painted.

Carefully open the bonnet once the lid is in place with the seal and spring fitted - best to have an assistant watch as you open the bonnet carefully for the first time.

If it touches you can:

1. bend the lid

2. bend the bonnet

3. put a split piece of 1/4 bore rubber hose on the bonnet edge shut flange to lift the bonnet slightly (one either side also stops the bonnet hinge rattle)

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Neil is spot on, the repro seals have to be reworked or the front of the vent sits too high. First time you lift the bonnet, crunch.

Not so bad on later post 60K cars were the bonnet rear edge lifts at a better angle.

Packing the back of the vent up with a couple of flat washers helps get the front edge down.

Viv