I am rebuilding a TR3a , TS76653

I want to offer up the windscreen before final spray , and am missing the O/Sa tenon mounting bracket.

I have spoken to the previous owner, who had fitted a quick release windscreen many years ago, I am missing the O/S tenon plate that the stanchions slide onto. I have spoken to various suppliers but am told that have not been reproduced.

I have trawled ebay etc without success.

Any ideas of where to try and source this part, or anyone have a spare for sale - much appreciated.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Not exactly sure what you are looking for as the tenon plate is sandwiched between the Screen and the stantion and this is the only attachment. If the PO removed the outer plate on the scuttle and lost it he's an idiot!!!!

You could try Carl at TR Trader or TRGB

Is it Tr2 or 3a?

Sliding plate or holes through bulkhead? Look at page 118 of the Moss catalogue or workshop manual.

If the tenon plates are missing I have a pair but sorry wont separate.

Richard

As Rod says - the tenon plates fit between the stanchions and screen frame, but from your description it sounds like you are actually talking about the plate which fits between the stanchion and the body of the car.

You may already know this (and I might be wrong), but on earlier TR2s (and 3s?) these plates bolted to the body and the stanchions then slid onto them before being secured with Dzus fasteners which screw into the plates. On later cars (like yours and mine), the plates and stanchions just have two bolts which screw through both into captive nuts in the body... so the plates come away with the stanchions.

I've also heard that on some later cars, the stanchions were fitted directly to the body without any plates fitted at all.

Given yours is a late car, I'd think that you should be able to have a plate fabricated from aluminium to match the shape of the stanchion 'foot', with holes to match those in the stanchion, too... I don't think you actually need the 'bar' in the middle of the plate as once you tension up the mounting bolts, that will hold the plate in position?

2nd hand plates do come up on ebay from time to time, but they are sooper expensive for what they are.

Malcolm

Hi Richard

I'll have a look, I did have a spare pair, but can't remember if I sold them, They are indeed like rocking horse poo. Does the one you have, have the wire for the dzus fastener or just a thread? As Malcolm says, if yours is a later car, it would probably be cheaper and easier to get on fabricated up, especially as you have a pattern.

John

Thanks for the replies.

As you can tell, i am new to the world of TR's!

Yes Malcolm it is the plate between the stanchion and the body of the car that is missing for the O/S.

I gather that although a late car the previous owner reverted to the plates that bolted to the body and the stanchions then slid onto them before being secured with Dzus fasteners which screw into the plates.

Rod, thanks, sounds like i need these plates and not tenon plates. I checked the workshop catalogue and it is part no 552819 and labelled stanchion guide. dont suppose you have a pair of these for sale?

John, thnaks, fingers crossed you might have a pair!

If all else fails will see if i can get one made up.

Thanks again

Richard,

Given that you say the PO bolted the external stantion sliding plate have you checked if the internal bulkhead plate is still in position. If a later car that the stantion screws should be able to be screwed in. It would be difficult to remove the internal plate so it may still be there. Try one of the screen screws for the side you have in the hole, you may be lucky. My Nov 59 3a had "captive nuts " in the bulkhead and screwed (with a gasket) directly.

Richard

I just noticed this ad on e-bay for a very rusty looking bulkhead section from a 3A (according to the seller)... not sure how he expects to get £3200 for it, but that's not the point...

From one of the shots, it looks like the bulkhead may have the windscreen plates still fitted... you could contact the seller and find out if he is willing to sell them separately? To be honest, it's the sort of ad that doesn't fill me with confidence, but given how rare these bits are, it may be worth the risk?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-TR3A-REMAINS-V5C-3-TVW-L-K-/131164549461?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e8a043155

post-11403-0-05876400-1397490707_thumb.jpg