Afternoon gents,

I currently have a pair of chrome H6 air filters on the 3A, as installed by the PO . . .

7f140794-c677-4f3d-b94a-39478c27c74d_zps

I'm looking to retire these in favour of something with better airflow, as frankly they're all hat and no cattle! (imo)

The old girl's pretty stock, so I'm not expecting Silverstone-like power gains overnight (though a few extra ponies would be nice ^_^!)

But before I jump in and forward the readies to messrs K&N and Moss - I wanted to ask you 'sage ones' if you had any advice about airflow upgrades for sidescreen TRs, and/or other product recommendations.

53eaec1d-7148-42ff-a4f7-aea422cc669e_zpsdbb4e83f-8b28-43e2-8b1b-0c069ec9a914_zps

Many thanks as always!

Cheers chaps,

Deggers

Edited by Deggers

I have been using K & N filters for some years now. But the suck from my lightly modified engine ingested all the foam on one occasion and on another I managed to notice what was happening in time and glue it all back together. According to those in Somerset that know more about these things than I do, my experience is not unique !

I'd be glad to refit my 'hat and no cattle' ............... if I could find where I put them

james

I have been using K & N filters for some years now. But the suck from my lightly modified engine ingested all the foam on one occasion and on another I managed to notice what was happening in time and glue it all back together. According to those in Somerset that know more about these things than I do, my experience is not unique !

I'd be glad to refit my 'hat and no cattle' ............... if I could find where I put them

james

I didn't think K&N used foam - all those that I have had used a pink matting sandwiched with stainless wire mesh . I'm puzzled!!

Phil.

Deggers if you are serious about more ponies and have 500 quid to spend investigate these. http://www.v-performance.com/products/air_fuel.html#mikuni_carbs. I just bought some following discussions with a guy in Colorado who swears by them. Won't be able to give you impressions till towards he end of the year

Graze

Hi Deggers,I've been using Ram Pipes with No Filters on a 1500 Spitfire for the last 10yr and it goes like the Clappers,I had KN Filters on before that but when I changed I could notice the difference and was a Happy Chappie.

Yes I know they'll do long term Damage with no Filters and I will need a Head/Engine Rebuild before Time,but I'm Happy.

BTW,I take the SUs apart every Year and give the Piston a good clean as they get a Dust build up.

Edited by TR NIALL

Afternoon gents,

I currently have a pair of chrome H6 air filters on the 3A, as installed by the PO . . .

7f140794-c677-4f3d-b94a-39478c27c74d_zps

I'm looking to retire these in favour of something with better airflow, as frankly they're all hat and no cattle! (imo)

The old girl's pretty stock, so I'm not expecting Silverstone-like power gains overnight (though a few extra ponies would be nice ^_^!)

But before I jump in and forward the readies to messrs K&N and Moss - I wanted to ask you 'sage ones' if you had any advice about airflow upgrades for sidescreen TRs, and/or other product recommendations.

53eaec1d-7148-42ff-a4f7-aea422cc669e_zpsdbb4e83f-8b28-43e2-8b1b-0c069ec9a914_zps

Many thanks as always!

Cheers chaps,

Deggers

Also consider to go inside your K&N filters.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200962949913?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I have regular pancake K&N filters fitted to my 3A with HS6 carbs and 4A inlet manifold. It means that the front air cleaner must be offset upwards so it does not strike the inner wing panel.

If you go the K&N route the cone shaped ones will clear the inner wing panel by the look of it.

Cheers

Peter W

Thanks all for the links and replies.

I just bought some following discussions with a guy in Colorado ...

Graze, I've not previously heard of Mikuni carbs ... but those are some athletic results, and I'd be keen to hear what you make of them and how they perform, once you've had the chance to put some miles on. Keep us posted!

I've been using Ram Pipes with No Filters for the last 10yr ...

Niall, I have to admit, I'm sorely tempted!! But I suspect what passes for "roads" around my neck of the woods wouldn't best favour the sans filters option! ;)

eac448a2-6183-413a-87c1-ba1a19a654dd_zps

Also consider to go inside your K&N filters.

Thanks Peter . . . and would I be right in thinking that the longer the trumpet, the lower down the rev range the power is produced?

Cheers fellas,

Deggers

The dumpy ram pipes are designed to fit inside the air cleaner to improve airflow into the carb. K&N uses to make a rather splendid, if expensive 'ring do-nut' shaped things. I made my own on the lathe with MDF and a coat of gloss paint, copying a sample of a 1. 1/4 SU one that I have.

Yes ram pipe and inlet tract length have something to do with power tuning - no doubt the initiated will respond here soon.

Cheers

Peter W

I didn't think K&N used foam - all those that I have had used a pink matting sandwiched with stainless wire mesh . I'm puzzled!!

My apologies to Mr K&N - my filters are Pipercross and not his surely worthy product..........................

james

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Deggers,

To add my two penn'orth....

I have run three TRs - two '56 TR3s and my current TR3A - with ram pipes for years. I have suffered no ill effects over what must add up to a hefty mileage.

Now in Kenya where I lived for 3 years we had DUST and carbs needed filters but in England? My local roads might be full of nasty holes but they are not noticeably dusty and my underbonnet gets enough oil mist to glue down any tiny amounts that do sneak in there.

One can overstate the hazards of the occasional bit of microscopic muck in out tractor engines.

Keep TRucking and enjoy the intake roar,

Willie

Edited by Willie Felger

Yes, the inlet length tract does change the revs that maximum torque is produced at, the short story being a longer inlet tract lowers the revs that maximum torque is delivered at. I remember a CCC article which produced quite impressive increases in torque and some bhp increases on a Mini engine on a rolling road using what were then sold as "Torque tubes" which were something like 8 or 10 inches long, a little impractical for general use.

Based upon the same science we fabricated some 11" inlet tracts with Weber plate ends and fitted a pair of the fabled DU6 carbs to them. These DU6 carbs originally being fitted to the F1 Coopers with the Coventry Climax engine which ran much higher revs in use. A hasty rolling road session saw them deliver about 8 hp more than 1 3/4 SUs on a 89mm 4 cyl engine but the increased length inlets also magnified the pulsing and caused the power to come in like gangbusters at the 4000 rev area, with a corresponding loss of finesse of throttle application which then resembled a switch ! No doubt a lengthier tuning session would have smoothed the power delivery. I also have some of the "doughnuts" in 1 3/4 and 2" sizing which did deliver better hp but we are only talking a couple of horses max, what they did do was smooth the airflow and allow better part throttle application and power which in racing is worth it alone. If you run a 6 cyl car without the short weber stacks inside the airbox the flow gets very ragged and suffers in part throttle which underscores what we found on doughnuts and carb ram application.

What it also showed was that a well set up pair of SUs on a 4 cyl engine takes some beating, being reliable, giving good economy and excellent power. The ram pipes in every day use are a vanity, if you like them fit them but any power increases are difficult to measure and offset with the dangers of non filtered air and other nasties entering the engine.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey