Ground zero for TRs in the USA...

...could probably be traced to the glowing August 1954 road test by Tom McCahill, legendary automotive tester for Mechanix Illustrated magazine. If you've never seen this one, it's worth a read.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mi-tests-the-triumph-tr-2/

xlg_triumph_tr_0.jpg

xlg_cover.jpg

Where's the scan of page 64, me want one !

Mick Richards

Brilliant

Next time the 'man from the Council' calls, I will respond.....

....what do you expect, its “A hairy-chested, flame-spiffing wildcat”

Spitting Mc...Spitting, spiffing is a 40s/50s exclamation of approval...come to think of it in this review they do mean the same thing.

Mick Richards

Superb!

"The instrument panel is as easy to read as a Marilyn Monroe calendar, and almost as informative"! :D

Some great pictures too . . .

TRcorner_zpsaaf7e096.jpg

If that doesn't have you dashing off to the showroom with your twenty-four hundred bucks, I don't know what will!

Cheers, Deggers

Great find! Now we know how it happened that Don (from Montreal) bought the 3A in 58 he still owns! I'm sure he'd read that article as well!

Small detail: did you see how the tank filler cap on the pic is positioned!?

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

Thanks Don.

In our club library donated by a late TR enthusiast and contributor to this forum, Mychael, we have many press adverts of the day and British road tests. Some of this material is displayed on the TR Register Australian website under "archives".

It looks like very early TR's were shipped with the filler cap opener pointing rearwards, which made sense as a common fit for RHD or LHD cars. It could be speculated that owners soon complained to dealers that lifting the boot lid too high resulted in dinged paintwork. Sometime thereafter the opener was pointed towards the driver's side.

Viv

Spitting Mc...Spitting, spiffing is a 40s/50s exclamation of approval...come to think of it in this review they do mean the same thing.

Mick Richards

Sorry, an autocorrect not spotted - I was also at Goodwood last week, its wearing off

• 2 weeks later...