Dear All,

I removed the chrome rims to adjust the headlights, and now can't get them to stay on (the rims that is!). The headlamp assemblies are the 3 adjuster type, and the rims are clip on, but mine did not have any clips (as shown as no 45 in the Moss parts book page 92) - just a small tag rivetted to the inside of the rim and I am not clear how the PO had managed to get them to stay on.

The clips have arrived - part no BAU1460TR, but each one comes in 2 pieces with a pop rivet, presumably for fixing it somewhere.

Can anybody advise how to use the clips, preferably with a picture?

Thanks

Mike

The small tag is meant to have a spire nut clipped to it to take the screw type rim. It sounds like you have the wrong rims for your headlamp shells

Bob.

The clip should rivet to the bottom of the bowl with the little leg sticking out and down so the clip on the rim engages underneath it.

Stuart.

Think of it like a bayonet light bulb, but it only has one bayonet.

The top goes over a flange on the bowl, then press down and force the bottom rim in whilst twisting slightly so that the tag (bayonet) on the rim engages with the spring clip on the bowl.

Jerry

These rims are not always easy to fit. On the last occasion, and after a lot of fiddling, I had to enlist the aid of Carl Kiddell (from Revington), who tweaked the tag on the inside of the rim itself, and then got the thing back in no time!

Ian Cornish

Thanks everybody, but although I can see how the rim tag would sit in the clip "fork", I have no idea how the clip is assembled. As both parts have a hole, am I right in assuming that the rivet goes through both? I cannot see the purpose of the smaller piece with the 2 small ears.

Sorry the pic is 90deg out!

post-5073-0-83536400-1396303611_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike,

The photo below shows the clip. The small plate looks like it is on the rear of the lamp bowl and the two ears come through the bowl and are bent over.

I will be able to get a better photo tomorrow if this is not good enough.

TR6-003a_zps93d2e85a.jpg

Cheers

Graeme

Graeme,

Many thanks, I have solved the puzzle with your picture, rims now clipped back on. I also had to tweak one of the tags on the rim.

All in all a pretty poor arrangement - very weak tags on the rims and hardly enough return on the back of the rim to hook over the bowl flanges. If (when?) they fall off I will convert to the screw fixed type!

Mike

• 11 months later...

Just had same problem with TR4A headlamp rims. Figured out that rubber dust seal that fits just behind rim fits better with small ridge on rubber seal pointing inwards although diagrams suggest that it fits other way round. Don't think either way is that critical.

As for chrome rim, simply apply a bit of copper grease to clip on bottom of bowl shown in Graeme's photo above. Then hook rim above two lugs on top of bowl, and push bottom of rim towards clip (best if you mark position of this with dot of marker pen on bulb beforehand) and push clip on inside of rim into clip holder on bowl rim shown in photo. It is a tight fit but you can push against head of rivet on outside of rim with a small stick to push it into place. Once you get the knack it is quite easy. To release rim lever between rim and bowl rim next to clip at bottom. This is where small rivet is on outside of rim. Hope this all makes sense. No need to bend clip on inside of rim. This will make it fit less securely.

Keith