Alcan 5000 Rally

Hi All,

I thought I'd let you know that I am entering the Alcan 5000 Rally this August. My brave/foolhardy girlfriend and I will be competing in my trusty (I hope) 1961 TR4 in which I've done a few seasons of local Ontario road events.

The rally starts in Kirkland, Washington (near Seattle in the North West corner of the USA) and runs north into Canada, through British Columbia and Yukon Territory before crossing the US boarder into Alaska. It then makes a dash for the Arctic Circle and finally ends in Anchorage after around 4,300 miles across 9 days. Much of the route is gravel roads - mostly because there's nothing else in a lot of these places!

As well as doing our best to win the Vintage (pre-1984) class, we also plan to raise money for a charity that I'm close to: Road Hockey to Conquer Cancer in support of the Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation here in Toronto. Our target is $1 per mile.

I'll add updates between now and the event itself and will likely run a Facebook page or blog with daily updates of news, photos, tales of woe, etc. during the rally. I'll probably end up with an article in TR Action once I'm back home safely. Right now, I'm waiting for the snow to melt so that I can get out for a spring drive before picking up on the preparation work...

In the meantime, if you're interested in more information on the rally, you can find it here: www.alcan5000.com

Cheers,

Tim

Alcan5000_2014_Route.pdf

Alcan5000_2014_Route.pdf

Edited by TorontoTim

Tim,

This sounds like a great 9 day rally. I'm sure you'll have a great time and if the car does ok I'm sure you will have a chance. I'll keep an eye on things and wish you best of luck, if I ever get the chance to come over it sounds like one to do.

Ps would it be a better idea to start in the NW if the Rally is in Washington state? Only a minor navigational point! :)

Thanks Paul!

I'm hoping I won't need help that early, but you never know! Day one of the rally ends at Quesnel, so I think the route will run to the west of you up through Merritt, 100 Mile House and Williams Lake, largely following the 97 (although with various deviations onto back roads, of course).

Depending how we get on and whether or not I'm sick of the inside of the car after the event, maybe I should drop in on the way back to Toronto...

Cheers,

Tim

Really looking forward to hearing about this one, Tim. (It's one of those road-trips I'd love to tick off the bucket list!)

I recently watched a few "Roadkill" episodes on Youtube (below), in which the guys from Hotrod Magazine drove a 1968 Ford Ranchero, 3600 miles from Los Angeles to Alaska: up through Canada into Yukon Territory, and along the Alcan Highway to go ice-racing at Big Lake.

Looks like an incredible trip, with stunning scenery - but challenging to say the least!

All the very best, Tim. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Cheers, Deggers

Edited by Deggers
  • 3 weeks later...

Rally guys - I need some input on tyres, if possible:

I was expecting to fit some Dunlop SP82's for this event; it's a long way and a significant minority of miles will be on gravel roads - many of them pretty remote - so I am trying to make sure that I have a decent "hybrid" tyre and to ensure against (sidewall) punctures.

However, I am advised that the Dunlop factory isn't making them at the moment (or maybe ever again). Mr. Tyre has offered DMACK DMG2 (hard compound) instead. Pros: available; cheaper than Dunlops. Cons: asymmetric; unproven on TR4's...unless you know different!

Any other recommendations/thoughts/input? Remember, this is a 4,500 mile rally so need good mileage - I'm planning on taking 6 and will be running 5.5" wheels.

Thanks, Menno. I usually run Vredesteins on my car - either the Sprint Classic for all-tarmac or Snow+ for gravel. I've found them to be excellent.

However, give the length of this rally, the high mileage on gravel (with the odd huge truck potentially pulling bigger rocks into my path) and the difficulty of getting any replacements in northern BC, Yukon or Alaska, I'd like to use a gravel rally tyre with reinforced sidewalls. That was my reasoning for the Dunlops.

Having said that, I've been using the snow+ for about three years on gravel roads and only recently picked up my first puncture - must have done several hundred miles on them. SO if all else fails, I can get a new set of them.

• 4 weeks later...

All,

We now have a FaceBook page set up for our attempt on this event. For those of you who are on FB, feel free to visit the page (there is also information on our charity fundraising efforts).

I'll also post updates here - preparation, news, on-event reports - but there will likely be extra photos on the FB page (plus, of course, writings from my lovely navigator!).

Family illness has delayed some preparation, but everything should still hit schedule ok....er......I hope ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jan-Tims-Excellent-Adventure/227215100810020

One interesting piece of news: We have been asked to do a front-page piece for the Saturday "Wheels" section of Canadian newspaper Toronto Star. Nice to think of a TR4 making it to a major N American newspaper!! his will run in late July - I'll post a link here when it comes.

Tim

I ran Vredestein Snowtracs for a 1500 mile rally in the UK some of which was on very rough roads and it included about 20 speed tests on gravel and very rough Tarmac. They were fabulous and still look almost new. I'm going to run the same set in this years rally, albeit on an 83 Quattro Turbo.

• 5 weeks later...

Just so you all know, I've decided to stick with my trusted Vredestein Snow + (sometimes called Snow Classics). I've had nothing but good results with them on both gravel and tarmac. They are a little skinny and don't have reinforced sidewalls, but I'm hoping that two spares and a couple of extra inner tubes should keep me out of too much trouble......we'll see!!

I'll report on the performance etc. during and after the rally.

Cheers!

Tim

I just had a look at your Facebook page. Nice to see (and read) about the preps!

And since it's only two months away now, I was wondering if there has been a discussion about transponders in the cars: that way we can track your progress!

Menno

Menno, that sounds like some clever modern technology trickery... Would be great to do - but I honestly don't know how I'd do that.

What I DO know, is that I'm planning to provide a daily update on both Facebook and here on the Forum telling the story of the day, where we have got to and what is expected tomorrow - hopefully with pictures...

Feel free to school me in how I might do live tracking. :-)

Tim, your original block is still soaking as Mark Macy and crew try to free the stuck head. The second block was on the bench getting ready to be built up. Mark didn't say it would be done mext week, but he's definitely working to get you ready for the Alcan 5000.

See pm for update on my drive -- don't want to hijack your thread.

Menno, that sounds like some clever modern technology trickery... Would be great to do - but I honestly don't know how I'd do that.

What I DO know, is that I'm planning to provide a daily update on both Facebook and here on the Forum telling the story of the day, where we have got to and what is expected tomorrow - hopefully with pictures...

Feel free to school me in how I might do live tracking. :-)

Long story how I got the idea. In short: friends participated in a long distance rowing race (200+km / 24 hrs). All boats had a transponder installed, issued by the people who organized the race (mandatory for every boat / team). With the help of a smartphone app, all people at home were able to follow their favorite team and/or were able to rush to a point to see them.

Menno

On the topic of car preparation, the lovely (Andy Wiltshire) alloy longer-range tank went in today. Engine is done, and I'll do the 7-hour drive to Macy's (and then back again) this week to collect it.

My to-do list is getting shorter...

Fueltankfitted_zps0b9f42b3.jpg

Edited by TorontoTim