Fitting mx 5 seats to TR4

PRP

I fitted MX5 mk1 seats ( the fixed headrest type) to my 4a.

I bought the brackets from a member who posts on the forum as Smeggie who had a batch made. These are the type shown on the Technicalities CD.

The MX5 runners are used which allows more seat adjustment. The runners are shortened slightly by removing the ends which hold the MX5 mountings.

There are other types of bracket available which might be better if you want the seat lower & a search on here will give you more info.

Dave

I fitted brackets as per Dave from Smeggie, not seen him on Forum of late.

You can also get brackets from Tr trader and they also work well having fitted a set to a mates Tr recently.

http://www.trtrader.com/parts-lists/Veneer-Dashboards-Door-Cappings.htm

Cheers

Guy

Just beware of getting the Tall Driver option brackets. You have to beat the MX5 seat pan (bottoms) to flatten them and so allow the seat runners to be bolted to the brackets...

If I recall correctly the Smeggie brackets are the ones shown in Technicalities and are not height adjustable, I have a pair and they're good. Carl's I believe provide a tad more headroom.

Weld a piece of 50by6mm Flat Steel between the Front and Rear Runners and Re Drill your own Holes through the Floor,Reinforce under Floor With Large Washers.

Guy,do you have the Pics I sent you,if so you may Post Up here,Cheers.

I have the TR trader brackets and they are spot on. The mounts are not symmetrical so these take the hassle out and as said above you need to push in the seat base metalwork - which is easy with a mallet.

These brackets get your seats as low as possible which is a good thing and they just work a treat - highly recommended!

Weld a piece of 50by6mm Flat Steel between the Front and Rear Runners and Re Drill your own Holes through the Floor,Reinforce under Floor With Large Washers.

Guy,do you have the Pics I sent you,if so you may Post Up here,Cheers.

Here you go Niall

Stuart.

photo2_zpsacf1236c.jpg

photo3_zpsbc6a0256.jpg

photo1_zps7e2647c0.jpg

photo4_zpsf86f823e.jpg

photo7_zpsbdb2e2d4.jpg

on the TR CD is a drawing of the plates needed, I took this to a local shop and they were done for £30

The most difficult thing is locating it on the CD, but it IS there!

Thanks Stu it may help someone and save a few Bob also.

You will not get the Seats any lower,by using this Method the Seat Base Scrapes the Floor.

The reason for all the Holes is because I was not satisfied with the Seat position,I wanted my Seat Central to the Steering Wheel this I did achieve unlike many others I've sat in where the Seats are off Centre and nearer to the Drivers Door.

Thanks Stu it may help someone and save a few Bob also.

You will not get the Seats any lower,by using this Method the Seat Base Scrapes the Floor.

The reason for all the Holes is because I was not satisfied with the Seat position,I wanted my Seat Central to the Steering Wheel this I did achieve unlike many others I've sat in where the Seats are off Centre and nearer to the Drivers Door.

Niall is spot on. It is worth spending a bit of time on this.

Because I am 5'6" & my wife is only 5'0" we need the seats well forward.

To do this I had to offset the seat slightly towards the door to get enough clearance on the tunnel with the seat forward.but you have to be careful or the seat will foul the B pillar when it slides right back.

The Technicalities type brackets or Nialls method allow you to do this. Not sure about the TR Trader type

Dave

Edited by D Murton

I have the Technicalities type brackets in my 4a and they work fine even with me being 6` 4" though mine were made up locally in 4mm steel which makes them very strong indeed, they also spread the loading across the floor better, I wouldnt be too keen on anything flimsy in the way of brackets.

Stuart.

• 1 year later...

I haven't seem him on the forum for ages. As I recall I think I had the last of a small batch he had made up to the Technicalities design.

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys,

About to collect some black leather separate headrest MX5 seats. I've seen discussions on fitting kits.

Where in the technicalities CD is the MX5 seat info please as just cant see it..no interior section and not in miscellaneous :(

I see in the thread above info on welding in a plate between the runners, I could do this, is that the fitting method from the CD?

I'm 6' 4" tall, do the plans on the CD allow for taller drivers or should I just plonk for the tall driver kit by TR Trader?

Just interested in up to date views

Thanks Colt.

Edited by Britishbest

On the CD section N1 page 6 in the section weather equipment and trim. Those are the brackets we us as they are the strongest and will allow for my height too 6ft.3" Read the whole set of instructions, no welding required.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Just in case : I would like to buy, for a TR4 A IRS, a pair of TR4 A IRS to TR6 seats, condition of the covers doesn't matter if priced accordingly, the frames must be in good condition.

I also have a pair of MX5 seats that I'll not use anymiore, they are in my Vincent Hurricane, so no TR runners I'm afraid.

I fitted MX5 seats to my 4 per the tech CD. It's not as complicated as it reads. I would say the most difficult part is positioning them to get full backward travel. They are a huge improvement on the originals as everyone has found.

I'm just under 6 ft - so not the tallest - even so I would like to sit a bit lower so as not to have the top of the screen in my eye-line, Were I doing it again I would go to a little trouble to achieve that and suggest this is considered by anyone about to changeover. Somewhere on the forum is a description of how to remove some of the foam from the the seats to achieve this without loss of comfort or support. Certainly worth consideration if you are going to have them recovered.

The only other thing to think about is what to do with seat belts.I have inertia reels and it's a bit of a scrabble to dig them out as the seats are wider than the original buckets so less room to poke around looking for the buckle. Could do with some sort of loop on the seat upright to stop them disappearing into to the back. Or possibly a bracket to hook them onto somewhere.

Mike