Historic Motor Vehicle Road Tax

My Triumph was built in June 1973 and therefore from 1st April should be taxed as an historic vehicle. My current tax disc expires this month and my reminder has just arrived from DVLA requesting the payment as a PLG. I called DVLA and was instructed not to pay but to present my current V5C with taxation class (Section 7- Changes to Current Vehicle) amended requesting a change of taxation class to "historic" at my local Post Office from 1st April where a tax disc would then be issued free of charge. The V5C would then be reissued in due course. I trust this information is useful for those who qualify.

David

Thanks!

I'm hoping that may be of use to me next year, mine built in 74........rebuilt in 94, and I seem to be rebuilding it again in 14 :-)

Steve

Edited by SDerbyshire

Thanks for that information Dave.

Sounds logical and straightforward to me but you just never know with government offices.

Here`s hoping that the local post office person has been let in on the secret. :rolleyes:

fingers crossed Dave

Yes - my fingers are well and truly crossed. I would have hoped that the automated system for the taxation issue notices would have carried out this adjustment automatically as the DVLA have all the necessary information for it to be a seamless transition.

However this is the way it is. After 1st April I will report back.

Edited by Red5

Hi David,

There is no consistency from the DVLA, I fell foul of them 2 years ago when I was trying to get driving again after my stroke.

I rang them on Friday to ask what to do to get the Sprint and TR taxed as historic, they were both built in April 73.

The lady I spoke to said:-
Fill in Section 7 of the V5C- Taxation Class
Fill in a V10
Send them in with
MOT Cert, no Insurance Cert reqd as they check online
Proof of build date such as Heritage Cert
To DVLA Swansea SA99 1DZ, that's a specific Post Code for that department

Tax disk will take 7 - 10 days, new V5C up to 28 days.

I'm going to ring again in a few days to see if I get the same info from a different person.

Me a cynic? surely not!

The above is quite correct, you need to apply for a change in taxation class from private light goods to historic vehicle.

once that is done, the tax disc will be free.

Bob.

My car is a '74 - like many of you. Can't wait until the paper disc is abolished in October as it really rubs salt in the wound ( I know I'll still have to pay) when I'm parked upto another pre'74 to read 'nil' on the disc!

Mike

Ps - can live in hope that another extension is granted next week - but I doubt it.

Update to this thread as my car falls into Historic this tax year, 1973 built car.

I rang DVLA this morning and a very helpful young lady explained what I needed to do...as follows

Send Log Book to DVLA at Swansea, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DZ

Sign part 7 as Historic, and sign part 8.

They need proof of when car was built so Heritage Certificate, copy of this.

A completed form V10, application for car tax

Lastly your original current MOT.

All this to DVLA.

Ill be doing this in the next couple of days

Hope this helps

Steve

Edited by whatmore179

Is the Heritage Certificate only really applicable to the 1974 registered cars but built in 1973.

Most 1973 cars will have the first date registered as 1973 in the V5, surely that should be evidence enough.

Anyone know how to go about re-claiming tax that goes beyond April, will it be done automatically or claimed separately.

• 2 weeks later...

Update to this thread as my car falls into Historic this tax year, 1973 built car.

I rang DVLA this morning and a very helpful young lady explained what I needed to do...as follows

Send Log Book to DVLA at Swansea, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DZ

Sign part 7 as Historic, and sign part 8.

They need proof of when car was built so Heritage Certificate, copy of this.

A completed form V10, application for car tax

Lastly your original current MOT.

All this to DVLA.

Ill be doing this in the next couple of days

Hope this helps

Steve

The lady I spoke to said nothing about wanting proof of build date. She said she was aware of it.

I will be photocopying the MOT, just in case. Infact I think Ill photocopy everything :unsure:

Dave

The person i spoke to said I have to send in the above documents as described and include proof of build date, even after I pointed out that it could not have been built after it was registered in 1973-procedures still have to be followed regardless of common sense!

I don't believe you need proof of build date, if 1st registration was 1973 or earlier. I have done this 3 times now - with my 1967 motorbike, 1935 Hillman, & the 1956 TR. just had to send back the log book with the form for changing taxation class.

Bob.

Quick update on the above.

Just had my MOT and Heritage Certificates back from DVLA with a letter saying that the applications could not be processed at this time because the new legistlation does not come into effect until 1st April and cannot be processed until that date. They are keeping the V5C and V10 and will process it on 1 April and send me the discs then.

As I said in my earlier post...consistency from DVLA? No chance.

That just reminded me Len, she also said to attach a cover note saying why I thought it wanted historic tax and also not to send the documents in before the 25th of March. My TR was first registered 9th April 1973.

Dave

Sent my documents in on the 12th March including a letter of explanation, have`nt heard anything yet.

After reading the above posts it seems that they may have a system in place after all.

Here`s hoping that everything falls into place later this month but until it does I`ll keep everything crossed :)

Dave

Historic tax update

Received mot and heritage certificate copy back from DVLA this morning.

They apologised for not being able to process my application at this time but stated that the are holding onto the application and

that it would be processed on 1st April and the historic tax disc will follow.

seems to be a positive result

Dave :D

To be pedantic......Road tax was abolished in 1937 and replaced by Vehicle Excise Duty...... as I'm sure you know :) that's also been abolished for most modern cars that pay an 'emissions tax' (or not) as the case may be........ how does government reconcile my dirty old TR for free...and my previous V6 petrol Audi at £425+ per year ? :(

Edited by johnny250

Same as #15 and #20 for me to. They have returned my documents and are waiting until 1 April to process

Steve

Edited by whatmore179

Thanks all. The conclusion is we all need to wait until after April 1st. Then all will become clear ( I know............ but I'm trying to be optimistic).

David

Had an email from the DVLA today telling me I can change to historic vehicle at the post office from the 1st April, so no need to send off.

They tell me I will be issued with a tax disc on (but not before) the 1st as long as either

a) log book dates car as pre 1974

B) proof i.e. heritage certificate is shown.

Just need to change section 7 of log book to state historic.

Happy days........