Early TR2 draft excluders

Can someone please give me details of the diameter and lengths for the front and rear draft excluders. Unfortunately I have the originals but they have perished into a soggy goo which is not enough to measure the accurate lengths.

Looks to be rubber pipe about 1/2" diameter, but not sure if front and rear are same.

help appreciated.

Its 1/2" OD rubber tube for both, material covered and a waist edge of material of at least an inch and sometimes more on the covering., same front and rear.Top ends have the rubber cut an inch back from the end of the covering and then the covering is folded back inside to give a flat covered end. bottom ends have the rubber cut to suit lengths when fitted and waste ends of covering stuck down to bottom of inner edge of floor pan.

Stuart.

Can you post a picture of the parts you are discussing? These may be parts that I am missing from my car as well, but just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly...

I'm trying to add a picture myself but once again it's failing to upload despite being under the size required.

Edited by clive

I'm now pretty convinced we're talking about the same parts. How soft was the rubber on the correct part? I can get fuel pipe the correct size and I can get "soft Medical Latex Rubber Tube the correct size... I've also managed to track down the manufacturer of the vinyl that's been used on my car, so hopefully I can get a match for it. It's a bit annoying when you know all these parts went off with the car, were presumably handed to the trimmer and were not replicated or returned...

Do you think this stuff would do it? http://www.amazon.co.uk/10mm-13mm-Clear-Tubing-Metres/dp/B008NC9IEQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393428792&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=13mm+OD+latex+hose

Edited by clive

Hi Bob,

I would not use it as I have

Just got the stuff myself and compared it to original section I had the feel and softness is about the same as before compared to the age of it. Airline hose!

ebay item: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190885467750?var=490175616312&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

6.5mm id and bought 3 metres.

Drop me a email address by pm and I piccy you some of how I've done mine.

Draw round the pipe and then a circle about 1/8th inch bigger and then cut out triangles to this line all round.

Coat the end of the pipe with glue (Woolies Part No: 259 Alpha 178.) and fold over the triangles. Not the same as original as they folded the material over and caught the overlap in the glued section. Works OK for original paper thin vynide type material but unless you can get the modern equivalent in your trim colour then it looks like sh1t.

FWIW the material used is thinner than that used for the door cards etc and you need to make an end cap from vinyl and then a folded over section at the top which wraps round to enclose it.

Edited by Rodbr

Very useful, thank you. I've ordered some of the hose as in the link.

I'm sending off a sample of the vinyl my car is trimmed in to the manufacturer to confirm a match. Fingers crossed I'll be able to replace the parts the trimmer conveniently did not bother with and did not send back to me!

Hi Clive,

Sorry addressed you wrongly, Ask your trim expert for as thin as possible matching material as possible as you need this for making the "hockey stick " sections of trim that holds the above. Anything thicker and you lose the definition of the thin plywood.

rgds

Rod

• 7 months later...

Damn, more bits needed. Everytime i come on this Forum to sort one problem, i end up with ten more !

Devil is in details they say..

I knew about the draft excluders and the hockey sticks, but not where they end.

All the pictures available show them go ben running all the way to the bottom of the a post, so to the floor.

Now i need to know the "gap" between them and floor looked..

Don, thanks for posting the pictures! It seems a bit of a stretch to call that an unrestored long door car, as several items like the carpet, tonneau posts, overdrive switch, rear view mirror, dash knob, grab handle, and boot lock covers all look incorrect or missing. Don't even think its a long door with the grill surround and EB number, which are a later vintage. I don't mean to be picky but that is how urban legends arise about what is original or not. I'm sure its a fine car and more original than most. I am trying to sort out the draught excluder and hockey stick pieces on mine as well so I am following this post closely.

Dan

Edited by 2long

Here is a close-up I had never noticed before. it's a badge just above the rear center brake light. I think it reads "TRIUMPH TR2"

That's special, I think. IIRC, there was something in a book that US dealers complained about the fact that there was no 'Triumph' on the back of the cars - therefore mistakenly called 'MG'...

Is it a add on by a dealer, is it a Canadian spec TR or...

Menno

The devil is in the detail TS4002 October 54 saw the changeover for the '55 model to short door. :

This shows how far the original draft excluder came up the scuttle (note pinned to hard wood support with carpet tacks)

CIMG0519.jpg

Extra cut material to hide or mask body colour and fit of dash bar/dash/scuttle.

CIMG0518.jpg

Draft excluder/carpet hockey stick

CIMG0528.jpg

Edited by Rodbr

Hi Edwin,

Unfortunately some moron had started welding without removing the trim and the bottom section got burned. From the remains I have concluded that the rubber tube ends at the sill but the material continues down to the floor. Hence the reason for the draft excluder being glued first, then the carpet (note how thin the carpet was in this location like thick Velvet) and finally the "hockey stick Finisher" which stops at the same point as the rubber o.e top of the sill.

It is a bit of "suck it and see" about length and I do not have that length but will have to cut and shut when installing.

Quite frankly my car is so early that I think it was built by hand wearing boxing gloves and will have the same differences that all the early cars had i.e UNIQUE. I would suggest that it becomes an issue to obsess about the fine detail of early cars particularly the first 500 and below. Is a car any less unoriginal if it has service items fitted during it's lifetime? After all there were cars that were shipped from the factory to the US that had specification changes done by the dealer to suit a particular customers requirements.

Would a Concours judge takes marks off of the car did not have the original oil it left the factory with or original air in the tyres?????????

Lots of things were done in period, just look at the service information sheets for the Te 2, 3 and 3a. Owners frequently upgraded their own cars with the next flash goody. Example, the chrome ring in the nose of the apron on a TR2/3, black painted and parrallel sides grab handle changed for the chrome "fat" version and so on.