setting up a tr2 for mille miglia

First achieve a world class restoration, then spend a few years gaining experience in historic competition, and build a personal reputation sufficient to encourage the organisers of the Mille Miglia to even consider your application.

By then the current £7+K entry fee will probably have risen to five figures, and the waiting list for places may well be into the latter half of the century.

That aside, join the TR Register and start learning from the ground up the way we all did . . . . perusing the Technicalities CD and the CD of the first 200 issues of TR Action will offer some useful background hints and tips. So will the various TR modification, preparation, tuning manuals produced over the years. The MSA Blue Book is required reading from a technical viewpoint in respect of UK competition, and you'll need to become acquainted with the relevant FIA appendices too if you're looking to anything resembling serious events.

There are no shortcuts - not unless you can afford to pay someone like TR Enterprises £50+K to rebuild your car to a basic competitive condition, and then pay them a great deal more to prepare and run the car such that you simply turn up and drive . . . .

Cheers

Alec

A wonderful ambition!

You will need to restore and prepare your car to the strictest Appendix K (http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/regulation/file/2012_Annexe%20K_22.06.2012.pdf) spec. I don't know what regs the modern Mille Miglia is run to, so the need or not for International competion licences etc. and posisbly to make sure that your was true to the TR2 holomologation spec.

I can't remember if there have been any TR2s in the Classic Le Mans, but there certainly were in the day, so you would be eligable for that, and if there are none, easier to get in, if as costly as MM. While CLM is no walk in the park, and again, I don't know how the modern event is arranged, but the original MM was a car, and driver, breaker. CLM includes three sessions in 24 hours for each group, so might be better first target. Several TRR members have run CLM so seek advice!

Oh, and did you see a TV programme a while ago about the MM? An enormously wealthy UK person had bought a UK historic car, had it rebuilt and restored professionally ready for the MM, brought along the restorers van with mechanics and parts - and broke down, irretrieveably, a few yards past the start. Heartbreaking, as well as car and driver breaking.

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Hi. you were right it was James Martin.

The idea is that I am going to use my P1800 as a car to gain experience in timed rallies and similar events. Whilst building my experience, my TR3 will get on the road. Once that is done, I am going to set work on the TR2. The year will give me time to build up the necessary parts and information I need to put this together to the standards required. The TR2, is already completley stripped down and therefore is ideally set up for a full rebuild to meet the necessary FIA standards and to concours level. I know that it will be difficult to get the TR2 onto the MM, based on the waiting list, however, after seeing a few videos on it, I think it would be a great event and a once in a lifetime oppourtunity. My brother has already agreed to put half the money in for the event and therefore, it makes it a little easier to swallow on the fees lol.

I know that they need as much history as possible on the car and I am therefore writing to the previous owners to see if they have anything as I am a little short of paperwork.

Have a good look at www.1000miglia.eu and in particular the selection criteria outlined in the 'Norms & Regulations' downloadable pdf files.

The event is hugely oversubscribed, and I wouldn't be unduly optimistic about a TR2 gaining a place, not unless it's one that actually competed in period. Otherwise a driver of considerable celebrity might help ?

V5 documents are not always entirely reliable, all too often there is no record of the owners prior to the changeover from the old green logbook, the owner at the time being recorded as the first owner on the V5 . . . . a dozen previous owners since new notwithstanding !

Cheers

Alec

Hi. I do know it is a long shot on the MM. However, I still think it is a good thing to get the car into such a condition that it might stand a chance. Even if it is not successful, I will still have a car that I can be very proud of.

I will have a good ready through all the relevant paperwork and I hope you don't mind if I keep asking questions.

It has to be the same make and model as a car that has done it before. Not necessarily competed itself in the MM before.

Good luck with that ;) A friend of mine had to buy a Healey that had done it before to be considered

To be accurate, a handful of places are reserved as possible entries for cars of a type that didn't compete in the MM but did compete in period, either at international level or at Italian national level. This category is the exception to the normal rule.

The overwhelming bulk of places on the grid are reserved for cars of a type (make and model) identical to cars which did in fact compete, and preference is given firstly to individual cars which actually competed in the MM, then secondly to individual cars which competed at international or Italian national level even though not in the MM itself, and finally to cars which have no individual period history.

The final category may not in reality even exist in a given year, as selection is down to a committee who can and do make their own decisions based on the published guidelines, which allow more than adequate room for Italian manoeuvre. The grid could be filled many times over . . . .

The likelihood of any TR2 without actual individual MM history achieving a place is probably rather less than the cubic root of b*gg*r all.

That's not being unnecessarily negative, it is simple realism I'm afraid.

Cheers

Alec