Engine mountings sizes

I can't give you the size, but I can tell you that there is a general agreement that round mountings are much less resistant than rectangular mountings. So choose the latter preferably.

Badfrog

Just one thing to add. We tried the rectangular mountings and the exhaust touched the chassis. No idea why. Roger on this forum says that Land Rover Defender Round Mounts are the way to go? Or at least that is what I thought he said?

Best

Paul.

I was going to measure both today but got carried away with other things. Tomorrow I'll post the dimensions.

Regarding what is best. The rectangular (TR4A) mount is the most robust but sadly the rubber is made from chewing gum. One whiff of engine oil and it dissolves.

The round repro's are probably no better.

Land Rover do a round one that is both good quality and excellent value. It is made in the land of rubber trees (india) s should be good.

I'll try and find the link.

Roger

PS - here is the link www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk Part # NRC2054. The only issue is that the stud diameter is 8mm.

Edited by RogerH

The TR4 round variety are -

56mm diameter

35mm high.

stud length - 21mm

stud dia - 3/8"

The TR4A rectangular ones are -

length - 60mm

width - 60mm

heigth - 35mm

Studs - 7/8th x 3/8th

The Landrover mounts are slightly bigger than the TR4 round ones with 8 x 21mm studs

I hope this helps

Roger

There is also a different diameter land rover nor NRC2053. Same thickness as NRC2054.

Here you go

http://www.lrdirect.com/NRC2053-Engine-Mounting-Round-Smaller-Ty?gclid=CMbkmrnaj7sCFQUIwwodvjIALQ

http://www.lrdirect.com/NRC2054-Engine-Mounting-Round-Larger-Typ/?sfi=Nrc2054

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Interesting. The Land Rover price for the smaller mount is £56.03 and £16.40 for the larger one. I suppose its due to supply and demand.

Tim

Tim

• 4 years later...

Just in the throws of replacing my engine mounts on my 4A.

I guess it is better to continue on the same subject than start a new topic.

This is going to sound like a silly question, but confused.

The mounts were the rectangular ones. It has been recommended that I go for the Landrover round mounts which I have.

However I have just removed the nearside rectangular mount (which is well bu**ered) and there is a large circular washer between it and the chassis.

Looking at all my parts catalogues, they both say use as required.

What would the verdict be? Naturally the new round engine mount is deeper than the old rectangular one sp should I not use the packing washer.?

Many Thanks.

You may or may not need the shim washers, they are sometimes useful to give extra clearance on the right hand side when a certain type of 4 branch is fitted.

Stuart.

You may or may not need the shim washers, they are sometimes useful to give extra clearance on the right hand side when a certain type of 4 branch is fitted.

Stuart.

..and keep the front crank extension off the steering rack tube...

Peter W

..and keep the front crank extension off the steering rack tube...

Peter W

They do that anyway with the Landrover mounts as they are taller to start. FWIW If those mounts are used on a TR4 the torque reaction arm wont fit as the buffer runs out of thread before it does anything.

Stuart.