Engine Block Marking

Saloon engines, Vanguard Sportsman or Ensign, had the dipstick in the centre of the block - at least UK production did, although that may have been different for Australian production ?

TR engines had the dipstick forwards mounted.

As for the 15/20 commercials and the industrial engines . . . . no idea !

Cheers

Alec

Early Vanguard engines (like those mounted in the Triumph Roadster and Standard Vanguard Phase I)) had the dipstick at the front. This position was changed. Would be nice to know when this happened (Vanguard 1A?). Also interesting to note that some of the TR block improvements were introduced into the Vanguard line (such as bearing rings for the camshaft) others had been left out (different size and lenght of the head studs.) Furthermore I found that the Standard Vanguard Phase III also has a cross-drilled crankschaft.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to drag this subject up again, but I came across some colour factory photos on the web including a clear pic of the engine production showing the numbers.

The second engine appears to have been marked with a three then some white writing over it and the manifold is different with a single downdraft carb.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cheesepocket/6601887307/in/set-72157628639064911

Cheers

Graeme

hi Graeme

I love the hood fitting "Lump Hammer" lying on top of the 3a, it is interesting that the side screens are fitted before the hood in the assembly line picture.

Where did you find those pictures?

If you read the writing on the second engine it clearly says ZARF CKD so destined for export for something.

Stuart.

Roger I think the expression is "If you have to ask then you cant afford it!"

Stuart.

I had the pleasure of having a look at one of Racetorations engines being built the other week - staggering is one of many words that would fit nicely.

No idea of cost, but a work of art.

Roger

Roger

Did not know you was up here in my neck of the woods,who was building it?