Planned Upgrades/Refurbishment Of Turk'S Bits

Dave

Don´t quite get where that windscreen tube is on yours, but as I said, it don´t leak there only from the rubber UNDER the windscreen at the dead end of the track, caused by stretching it when installing it despite all sorts of lubricants from soap to copper slip, but I will bung up that corner if it should ever rain enough. Interesting bit of trouble we had was that one wiper arm separated from the blade when the box where they join snapped off and both went flying off done the road, but my navigator/ wife was out of the car like a shot and retrieved both, so now I will buy the sprung type blades for better clearance of the screen, This was caused by the speed of the wipers, but as I only have a single speed motor I can´t understand why the wipers move at a speed equal to a two speed high setting. ------- any suggestions anybody?

Dave

Jim - are you still jet-lagged? :D:D Have a look at the front of TuRK................... :rolleyes:

Oh gawd!!

I blame old age. (the Tooheys Blue is innocent!!)

Numeracy is going first. (I now measure three times and cut twice.)

Lukly the speling an littrercy is stil KO!

Dave

Don´t quite get where that windscreen tube is on yours, but as I said, it don´t leak there only from the rubber UNDER the windscreen at the dead end of the track, caused by stretching it when installing it despite all sorts of lubricants from soap to copper slip, but I will bung up that corner if it should ever rain enough. Interesting bit of trouble we had was that one wiper arm separated from the blade when the box where they join snapped off and both went flying off done the road, but my navigator/ wife was out of the car like a shot and retrieved both, so now I will buy the sprung type blades for better clearance of the screen, This was caused by the speed of the wipers, but as I only have a single speed motor I can´t understand why the wipers move at a speed equal to a two speed high setting. ------- any suggestions anybody?

Dave

AFAIK The high speed on the 2-speed wiper motor is meant to be the equivalent of the single-speed motor. The second speed is the slow-wipe at about half speed (presumably achieved by a resistor or some other electrickery device beyond my expertise).

Hi Andrew,

We did the Angouleme trip this year 300 miles pretty well non stop from Caen in standard seats, I could have gone on for another 300 but Marilyn was struggling a bit. I have tried the foam seats in another car but did not find them any better and one seems to be sitting a bit high on them.

If you will be doing any night driving make sure you have some decent headlamps. I had some Wipac halogens which I have never been very impressed with but have now changed to these Cibie units http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-CIBIE-7-ROUND-HEADLIGHT-MAIN-DIP-WITH-SIDELIGHT-H180-LAMP-TAKES-H4-BULB-/310540714720?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item484dab42e0 together with Nightbreaker bulbs. Great improvement without the need for wiring upgrades.

Regarding the hood/windscreen seal there was more than one type of hood, the fold under flap which has been mentioned was also listed as a separate part (559698). I have an original Stanpart one of these if you need a pattern.

I find one of the worst draughts comes up between the sidescreen and the elbow capping, if the sidescreen does not fit closely here you need to wedge something to block up the gap. These things only become important on a long trip.

BTW we did a similar Italian trip last year to the one you are planning also in an E36 (but only a 325) convertible, effortless comfortable cruising plus 35mpg and all in a 20 year old car. Did it about ten years ago in a similar engined E30 which was just as good. Despite initial reservations I have been impressed with both these cars.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply - I'll call you at the weekend, are you about if I pop over as I'd like to chat about Angouleme?

Can you please PM me your home number as I only have your mobile and I think it's Marilyn's phone?

Cheers

Andrew

Mike

I have the same problem re draft coming up the sidescreens by the elbow capping, were actually holding the sidescreens away from the bodywork as they are a little too deep, if you lift them up, then the top of the sidescreen wont go into the flap of the hood to cover the top joint. I,m not sure which way to go as it is the lowest lift a dot peg on the rear scuttle and the lowest one on the door are the culprits, the others are all O.K.

Dave

Mike

I have the same problem re draft coming up the sidescreens by the elbow capping, were actually holding the sidescreens away from the bodywork as they are a little too deep, if you lift them up, then the top of the sidescreen wont go into the flap of the hood to cover the top joint. I,m not sure which way to go as it is the lowest lift a dot peg on the rear scuttle and the lowest one on the door are the culprits, the others are all O.K.

Dave

Dave,

I have no doubt that TuRK will make any journey asked of it, it just needs some creature comforts sorting as Bev (the Long Haired Colonel (LHC)) has been spoilt in recent years by tours in VUX. :rolleyes:

The LHC was comfortable enough in TuRK in 2010 going to CLM (in 40 DegC) with Duncan Jolly, Willie and other Camp Flowers and our tour of Moutiers-au-Perche in the lower region of Normandy following Classic Le Mans, but the comfort bar has been raised by VUX - I knew I made a rod for my own back when I bought it! :D I have a trip to Span on the agenda for future years, so our paths my yet cross for a beer, or maybe a sangria..........

Willie,

Greeting from a very soggy Surrey!

Thanks for the useful info - yes, I have the drain tube from the air vent and I've routed through the gearbox tunnel and under the car, but it must overflow or something as it pours in, particularly when parked up as the footwells fill up with water.

Agreed, they can keep Classic Le Mans - done four now and every year it gets busier and more expensive...........

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

As I said we did all that mileage without a sore back or bum and we are both over 75, and we need our comforts, so tell The LHC that it is all imagination, or my seats and car must be special. My no.2 , the navigator doesn´t like using the grab handle bar so I have put an old Volvo head rest down by her feet so that she can rest them on that,

Dave

Dave

Hello Andrew,

Additions on TS952. Cig. lighter socket in back of glove pocket to run satnav or charge mobile phone etc., phone can be shut away in the pocket while charging. Map pocket by my right knee, also useful for any bits and pieces. Another useful mod was a couple of footwell lights, one each side, you can just see the small toggle switch behind the light. Aside from these is my homemade breeze breaker, made out of 15mm copper tubing and net from a garden center, cost just a few quid and transforms the comfort in the car over distances. Must improve the look of it sometime and perhaps I will post a photo ^_^

All the best with the upgrades,

Nigel

post-795-0-10365400-1381942196_thumb.jpg

post-795-0-43410900-1381942206_thumb.jpg

post-795-0-01869800-1381942217_thumb.jpg

post-795-0-10365400-1381942196_thumb.jpg

post-795-0-43410900-1381942206_thumb.jpg

post-795-0-01869800-1381942217_thumb.jpg

, a new hood which seals the sidescreens and stops them flapping about as best as possible, work on the vent flap drainage as the chamber overflows into the car and general weather proofing ( :D ) e.g. all external seams resealed and maybe fit wheel arch liners if they are available for sidescreen cars?

How about a pair of wetsuits and some rubber wellies ?

I missed Angoulême this year for various reasons but it it is a great event and only 60 miles away :D.

You may have another car in your convoy for Angoulême 14 as my 3A is coming along, although the paint is not exactly the colour I was expecting, when the neighbour saw it she immediatley commented on how pretty the colour was using the phrase " c'est mignon c'est la même couleur que Schtroumpfette " :unsure::lol:

Cheers

Alan

For heaven's sake Kiwifrog, :rolleyes:

" How about a pair of wetsuits and some rubber wellies ? " :o

You cannot be serious man, our Andrew would be uncontrollable in a wet suit, probably get arrested for the smell of burning rubber in every other layby. That's without taking into account the wellies, he'd be over the fence and chasing sheep as well as smoking over the LHC . . . . I reckon even in deepest Wales sheepshagging in a wet suit might be considered beyond the pale. :ph34r:

Mind you, France, land of the Frogs, I guess if he added flippers to his ensemble he might just get away with it. Although where one might purchase Wellington flippers is beyond me. Ann Summers possibly, although it might be a tad hardcore for the High Street ? :P

This could add a whole new dimension to Rubber Duck . . . . . :lol:

Cheers

Alec

One of my sons wears this when he's sailing his dinghy. A Musto drysuit. Yesterday, he put it over his jeans and sweater and after 2.5 hrs on the water, he came out dry. Don't forget to add surfer's shoes. :D

btw, this colour combination goes well with Turk.

Menno

10531369_1.jpg

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

if you want to save a few bob, to spend on the TR, use the channel swimmer's trick of an inch of grease instead. (makes seats belts a must tho'.)

Also allows a secondary career as a cat burglar, the 'oily man', who used to do us over at Butterworth used this technique, made him hard to grab if you woke up while being robbed.

Andrew,

On a really hot day you could always strip down to waders!

They have one distinct advantage over a goon suit - the smells can escape (albeit only upwards) and they even make 'em in Army green.

Willie

work on the vent flap drainage as the chamber overflows into the car

I don't know , you chaps with modern Belgrove cars. What's a vent flap ?

Another good tip Andrew, which hopefully you won't need in sunny France, is to replace the W/S wiper blades with MG midget ones if you haven't done so already. Still not perfect so a bit or Rainex before you go also helps, but much better than the useless original ones.

If you fit the centre hard top fixing to the windscreen surround you can mount a second rear view mirror using the hole in the fixing to attach the support arm of the mirror. A must if you do use a boot bag, but also reassuring extra vision when driving a rhd Belgrove TR sur le continent.

I don't know , you chaps with modern Belgrove cars. What's a vent flap ?

Hi Trevor,

Huh, yeah, what those of us with these 'modern' cars have to suffer with eh?

Thanks for the tips - Bev always moans about the wipers, so I'll get try a pair of the MG midget ones.

Can you post a photo of your screen mounted rear view mirror?

Cheers

Andrew

Trevor/Andrew

It´s going to be awkward with aero screens! A wing mirror mounted off the sidescreen sockets (Dzus) is better from a view point, those ones on the wings are too far away. BTW I have just bought Tex wipers and arms and waiting for their arrival, seeings I shed one arm and blade in France last month.

Dave

It´s going to be awkward with aero screens!

Dave,

The LHC will not tour with aeroscreens fitted to TuRK full stop.............but I always keep them in the boot rather than fitted behind the screen as they interfere with vision, particularly at night.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew I'm new to this forum and want to say how nice your car is and understand why you want the wheel arch liners. I'm thinking your inner fenders are painted and not undercoated. I had the same concern with my TR6 so I got some blank magnetic sign sheets from the local shop and cut them to shape and painted them body color. They stick to the bottom of the car perfectly and you just pull them off to clean. So instead of hearing that rock come up and hit the inside of the fender and your heart sink you just hear that dull thud and no damage.

• 3 weeks later...

Stick to real ale Andrew, that vino rosso gives you a rush of blood to the head . . . . :o:rolleyes:

Yeah, I've just come round after seeing the price........................I'm back on the ale!

I am undone, the LHC has beaten out of me the fact that Breeze-Breakers are available for sidescreen cars............she wants one fitted for the trip to Angouleme next September. I said buy a hat and that's when she delivered the upper-cut!

Cheers

Andrew