steering wheel play

As my tr4 is now driving sweet, I'll have to take it for an MOT.

Question is that although I fitted new bushes in the upper steering column there is a 2mm play if i push the steering wheel up/down or left/right.

Will this be a fail for the MOT?

There is no play in the steering wheel to road wheels.

tx.

With up & down movement, this might beg caused by upper steering column bushes worn. With the "in-out" movement, ensure the clamps (3 off) are tight with the steering wheel pushed against the outer column. A small amount of movement might be the rack & pinion play. I have a similar problem (and I have replaced the upper column bushes). Regards. Willie

• 2 weeks later...

my last TR5 had play in the steering bushes, I had an MOT carried out by a garage that knew TR cars the young lad who was carrying out the test pointed the wear out to the proprioter who remarked that this is normal

in an old TR and I was given an MOT.

New ordinary bushes have always solved the problem for me. Why is the "upgraded" revington one better? is it a lubricated bush?

Did you check if the column shaft itself had any signs of wear.

The original bushes have nylon bearing surfaces and over time these can wear the steel column.

The column on my TR4 had severe wear at both bush locations and had to be replaced with a better S/H item.

Regards, Richard

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi Guys,

I have this problem of side to side movement at the steering wheel also.

Just wondered before I pull it apart and order parts if there is any updated

consensus on the correct (and hopefully least painful) bearing parts to replace?

The parts in post no. 13 sound good as no removal of steering column.

Bizarrely I had the same problem in my Willys Jeep but that was a simple replacement.

Thanks

Colt

Hi Colt,

I have just fitted the Revington up rated ones. The top bearing was a right bu99er. the lower was very easy.

You do need to remove the steering column (inner and outer).

The Delrin bushes in post 15 look a little too easy but would be very good if your inner shaft is badly worn as the Delrin sits elsewhere.

However before you do that make sure ALL the brackets are doing their job.

Roger